Largest 120V Motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Npstewart

Doing a project with a bunch of pool/fountain equipment. The equipment supplier gave us a list of equipment with the voltage and KW of the motors. some of these motors are requiring about 50amps @ 120V. Which means I would need a 60A/1p breaker. My question is, did someone put together this list that didn't know what they were doing?

The largest 120V motor ive seen is about 30A. Is it possible to even get a 60/1p breaker? Im thinking that these motors should be running off of 208. If they were running of 120V would they be very expensive to build?

As always, thanks.

cpal

without regard to operating voltage in general an inverse trip bkr for a motor branch circuit IAW Table 430.52 may be set @ not more than 250% of the motors FLC.

A 50 Amp motor may well need a 125A Inverse Trip Breaker.

iwire

Staff member
I agree with cpal, I doubt a 60 would hold the start up of a 50 amp motor.

You do not have to use a single pole breaker, you can use one pole of a two pole if you have to.

That said, yeah it seems odd to use 120 volt motors that large.

sii

A quick search of Baldor's website shows that a 3hp motor, which is the largest single phase I could find, is rated at 25 FLA at 120 volts. The 50 amps mentioned would suggest somewhere well over 5 hp. I'm not sure you could find a 120 volt motor that large....I've never seen one anyway. Why not just use higher voltage motors?

Status
Not open for further replies.