Largest 230 volt motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Agree. For some reason it seems more like older motors above 100HP were dual rated, and then latter that stopped.

Anyone know who offers 125-200 today?

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Agree. For some reason it seems more like older motors above 100HP were dual rated, and then latter that stopped.

Anyone know who offers 125-200 today?
Hey just curious did you find any more?
I do believe Toshiba still goes up to 200HP depending on the application.
here is a link to the Toshiba's:
https://www.toshiba.com/tic/motors-drives/low-voltage-motors/general-purpose-motors/B2002VLG3USH#

and a 150 HP
https://www.toshiba.com/tic/motors-...motors/eqp-global-motor-series/B1504FLF4USH01

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician

paulengr

It’s really easy to make dual rated motors. Even a 2 pole motor has 6 coils so just bring all 12 leads out. Any higher poles are similar and you can do delta, wye, high, and low voltage. Even if it’s not factory it’s easy to rewind them that way although we get more customers asking to convert to 3 lead than the other way around.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
It’s really easy to make dual rated motors. Even a 2 pole motor has 6 coils so just bring all 12 leads out. Any higher poles are similar and you can do delta, wye, high, and low voltage. Even if it’s not factory it’s easy to rewind them that way although we get more customers asking to convert to 3 lead than the other way around.

Is there still a good 230 volt market in the 75HP and above?

paulengr

Is there still a good 230 volt market in the 75HP and above?
Yes. Obviously 240/120 high leg broken delta isn't going to be common for that HP. It will be 3 transformer. That's your water plant booster or lift station scenario with some big pumps but rarely over about 50-60 HP.

But the area I see it is pushing peak torque in VFDs. A trick with a VFD is to use a dual voltage motor wired for 230. Set the VFD to use 460 V at a name plate 120 Hz. Its screwy and obviously takes bigger wiring and runs the risk of overheating the motor if peak torque gets used as sustained but it's a clever trick some system integrators around here use. So these motors have to be 9 or 12 lead 230/460 to be used this way.

Right now Westinghouse uses 12 lead wiring on all motors as standard up to 100 HP. Those are all made in South Korea anyway. Above that most are from Round Mountain, TX and you can order it any way you want since they are all wound by hand. If you don't specify I forget if they default to 6 or 9 lead markings.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.