Largest breaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul

Re: Largest breaker

QO and QOB type breakers that are 150, 200 and 225 amps are available. They take up two spaces per pole.

iwire

Staff member

You did not say plug in or bolt on, if it is bolt on anything larger than 100 will need a sub feed kit.

redfish

paul, QO and QOB type breakers that are 150, 200 and 225 amps are available. They take up two spaces per pole.
Wow I'll have to check in to that, I thought that 150A was the biggest QO. Any bigger and you would need an I-line panel. :)

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Originally posted by iwire:
You did not say plug in or bolt on, if it is bolt on anything larger than 100 will need a sub feed kit.
Please elaborate.

hardworkingstiff

Originally posted by iwire:
Actually, I thought I remembered a post in here a couple of months ago when someone had mentioned a % of the MB that you could not exceed. I guess I remembered wrong.

A friend of mine has a welding shop next to his house out in the country. He did not get a permit for the shop, and wired it himself. He wants to pull power from his house. I wrestling with whether to do this or not. He really should have a 200 amp service for what he wants to do, but he can't have his building inspected. I use his services to build Aluminum panel stands for the docks I work on so it complicates matters. I don't like working w/out a permit and I've told him if I decide to do it I would have to completely rewire his shop. The part I have a problem with (besides no permit) is pulling the power from his house panel.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems

Actually you can mount the largest breaker that is listed by the manufacturer.

For QO that would be 150A.
For NQOD with subfeed capability it would be 225A
For I-Line HCM family it would be 250A

Status
Not open for further replies.