Laser layout tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparky76

Any preferences for laser layout tools at a price that won't break the bank? I have that Stanley Fat Max plumb bob that just quit after just over a year. Of course its out of warranty and I'm not very impressed. I would like a more multi tasking type tool.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
We've used the Dewalt laser plumb bob and it works well for the money. Also the PLS brand of lasers are great but they're more expensive. Here's a few examples:

pls_product_img1.jpg

76nemo

infinity said:
We've used the Dewalt laser plumb bob and it works well for the money. Also the PLS brand of lasers are great but they're more expensive. Here's a few examples:

pls_product_img1.jpg

Wha, that's impressive Rob, never seen them. Sparky76, take the Stanley apart. Don't bow down to it. Was it dropped?

480sparky

76nemo said:
Wha, that's impressive Rob, never seen them. Sparky76, take the Stanley apart. Don't bow down to it. Was it dropped?

I had to take my Stanly Fax Max apart a couple weeks ago. Laying some can lights out, they started to look like a drunk put them up. They were as straight as a politician/lawyer/used car salesman (take your pick). I noticed the laser wasn't wobbling to find plumb like it normally should.

Broke it down, and found a small peice of plastic has gotten into it and held the laser in one position. Cleaned it out, put it back together (a real pain!:mad: ), and Wah La!

ultramegabob

The Rack-a-tiers is great for laying out can lights and I have set it inside meterbases to find the center for the pilot bit for hole sawing through the soffet, and setting power poles for cash wraps. I use my CST Berger lasermark LM30 to run track lights and strip lights and its good for leveling your recepts and switch boxes when you have floors and ceilings that bobble up and down. you get alot for your money with both of these...

http://www.mytoolstore.com/berger/lm30.html

http://www.rack-a-tiers.com/pro_lpb.htm#laser

JohnJ0906

I have one very similar to this.
I don't recall what brand off the top of my head.
I would certainly love to get a laser plumb bob, but it is about 8 items down on my wish list.... ;)

lbwireman

electricalperson said:
i use a rack a tiers laser plumb bob. thats the only laser guided tool i use
I second that motion. Although, if I weren't primarily working in existing structure/upgrade/retrofit situations, I might have to re-think my choice.

e57

Hilti is the most durable and best made IMO - Tools for professionals who take reliability seriously and willing to pay for it.... Both their plumb and line designs are reliable and accurate to the degree that is necessary for our trade.

Next I would say David White (made by CST Berger) - and PLS - Good quality and non-Hilti prices... (littler > than 1/2!) The both have slightly different designs to do the same thing and some of those designs are better than others.

Rotary lasers are a little too bulky and I find cumbersome to set up - but necessary on large projects for initial layout, and when I say large - distances of 100-200' in length. Not your average room....

Plumb and the 3-5 beam type - I only ever use the plumb (up/down) beam now. In concert with a line laser - the fastest way to lay out cans...

Line lasers - I dont think I have used a chalk line in a few years now. And now a necessity for me to lay out Kit's and Baths. Quite a few other things too - find new uses all the time....

Either way I have yet to see a Robotooz, or Stanely product that I don't consider an over priced toy - many of their designs are not self leveling, hardly accurate, and shoot a 1" splotch at ~40' that you need a tape measure to find the center of..... IMO a JOKE! A waste time and money.

So I say this as I have used all mentioned above - if not going for Hilti, I would say invest in David White, or PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.