Laundromat service calculation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave58er

Hi all. I'm looking at plans for a laundromat and there are some irregularities with the load calculations as far as I can tell. I'd like to back up and just do the calculations from scratch, develop load totals based on part II of 220, and apply the demand factors. But the way they calculated has me second guessing if I would be doing it right, so I am hoping to get some feedback from some people with more experience in this area before I do so.

One part that keeps messing me up is the phasing. The service is a three phase 208/120. The first panel is three phase, but then there is a sub panel (Panel B) that is only 208 single phase. All the dryers are fed off this sub panel. The part I am not sure about is do I just calculate all the loads in the building like normal, then divide the va by voltage x 1.73 like I would if everything is balanced? Because the two phases feeding the sub panel will be significantly higher in amperage then the remaining phase that is only used in Panel A.

Another concern I have is that where the load of Panel B (which is single phase 208) is calculated before being added to the load for Panel A it is divided by 1.73. I thought that was only appropriate for three phase loads. Am I wrong about that?

And yet another concern I have is that all of the washer and dryer loads, which the print has totaled under "equipment" are added together to get a raw number and then multiplied by 65%. I'm guessing this is some sort of demand factor, but I don't get where you can take the nameplate of equipment and multiply it by a demand factor in this scenario.

An additional kicker is that the Load for panel B (which is divided by 1.73 even though it is single phase), is added to the loads of Panel A, totaled with them, and then divided by 208 x 1.73 again. Even if you could divide it once, I don't see how it would be legitimate to divide it again.

I greatly appreciate any feedback you can provide.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Maybe they actually intend panel B to be a three phase panel. Just because it is all single phase loads does not mean it has to be a single phase panel.

If the load from panel B is in VA and it is actually a three phase panel, then to get the current demand at panel A it would be appropriate to divide by sqrt(3) and 208 to get the current.

Dave58er

Maybe they actually intend panel B to be a three phase panel. Just because it is all single phase loads does not mean it has to be a single phase panel.

If the load from panel B is in VA and it is actually a three phase panel, then to get the current demand at panel A it would be appropriate to divide by sqrt(3) and 208 to get the current.
That is definitely a possibility. And the drawings list the panel as 3 phase 4 wire, so that adds more weight to what you suggest. It is problematic in that the breaker feeding the panel is 2 pole. So one of the information points is wrong, and the part that spells out 3 phase seems more of a copy and paste error. The panel A schedule explicitly shows the two pole breaker feeding it AND all circuits being used. So its not like there would easily be a spot to make it a three pole instead.

Dave58er

I just checked again and I can see I was wrong about the Panel B load being divided by 1.73 twice to get a total. It is divided twice, but in different calcs.

EC Dan

Occupation
E&C Manager
Is there any benefit whatsoever to using a dedicated single phase 208 VAC panel in this context? I understand this may be common in multiple-tenant situations but to run all the major equipment on only of the phases seems like a good way to introduce a ton of imbalance.

Dave58er

Is there any benefit whatsoever to using a dedicated single phase 208 VAC panel in this context? I understand this may be common in multiple-tenant situations but to run all the major equipment on only of the phases seems like a good way to introduce a ton of imbalance.
Great question. I’m not aware of a benefit for it. As petersonra noted it may be an error and the panel may actually be 3 phase.

That would solve the puzzle of why they used 1.732 in the calculation, which I understand.

Still not sure about the .65 demand factor though. Its not like its a multi family dwelling.

Status
Not open for further replies.