laundry branch circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

escape

Is a laundry circuit considered an individual branch circuit?? and if so is it required by code to have a single receptacle outlet?? Is a washer considered a utilization equipment? In the hand book it states: An individual branch circuit, which supplies only one utilization equipment Via a single receptacle. What does via mean??

macmikeman

Re: laundry branch circuit

You are permitted to have more than one receptacle outlet on the laundry circuit. You are not allowed to take this circuit out of the laundry area to serve other loads.

allenwayne

And if it is a dedicated receptacle and wired in #12 than either a single round 20 a recp. or a 20 amp duplex

jimwalker

Watch out on this one.If this washer is there on final make sure the paper work isn't.It might call for a dedicated circuit.

mdshunk

Originally posted by jimwalker:
Watch out on this one.If this washer is there on final make sure the paper work isn't.It might call for a dedicated circuit.
That sounds like advice from a guy that's been there! Uh-huh... I got dinged on that once too. You could have knocked me over with a feather.

jwelectric

Let me see if I can get something started here about this laundry receptacle.

In 210.11 (C) (2) it states ?to supply the laundry receptacle outlet(s) required by 210.52(F).?

The reason for the letter (S) after the word outlet is to allow a gas dryer to be plugged in this same receptacle.
:p

macmikeman

JWelectric, if thats the case then I did a big oops as recently as yesterday because I ran a second outlet in the laundry on the adjacent wall in the same room to be used for say "a radio" or say "one of those lovely little smell devices I see on tv" but certainly not an "iron" which might get used at the same time as the washer.

jwelectric

macmikeman

I have a couple of receptacles in my laundry room that are on the same circuit as the washer. While the washer is doing a load I will sometimes knock the wrinkles out of a shirt that was left in the dryer from the last load.

Most of the time when I do this I will listen to a little of Floyd?s Another Brick in the Wall.

It gets a little warm in our laundry so I will also have a small box fan blowing at the same time.

This don?t change the fact that ?outlet(s)? was left in the section to allow for a gas dryer to have a place to be plugged in.
;)

macmikeman

JWelectric , I wasn't trying to be funny to your post, I just didn't want to get blasted by all the folks who are going to condem me to hades for not putting an outlet which might in fact be used for an "iron" on its own circuit. And I thought I might be misinterpreting the ruling allowing more outlets on the laundry circuit. P.S. Pink Floyd has allways been my favorite band ever since Umaguma was released back around 1968 or thereabouts. I saw them live 3 times.
Blown away.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Originally posted by jwelectric:
Let me see if I can get something started here about this laundry receptacle.
You can't sucker me in that quick. We just got finished with the last one. :D

Edit: My 2?

[ June 24, 2005, 12:45 AM: Message edited by: georgestolz ]

jimwalker

I don't see any danger of a shock hazard or fire by sharing it.Would be a pain in the a$$ if it triped but no harm.All comes down to the quality of the job.A 12-3 HR would make a better choice.

[ June 24, 2005, 02:37 AM: Message edited by: jimwalker ]

jwelectric

Originally posted by jimwalker:
I don't see any danger of a shock hazard or fire by sharing it.Would be a pain in the a$$ if it triped but no harm.All comes down to the quality of the job.A 12-3 HR would make a better choice.
Now if that breaker starts tripping during a Floyd song ??. I guess its time to over size a breaker.
A after thought, why shouldn?t Floyd blow the breaker, he has been blowing my mind for a few years.
:)

jimwalker

jw seek help about floyd.My point was if it trips there is no damage except maybe a few lost minutes.My attidude changes if this is a freezer or frig.How many others have gotten jobs over gfci tripping and the freezer in garage went down.And in 05 i guess we are about to see lots of problems with frigs triping gfci.Who do we send the bill to when this happens.
I have a friend thats good at uping breakers ,like a 15 with a 50,sure stoped triping :mad: :mad: :mad:

[ June 24, 2005, 06:00 PM: Message edited by: jimwalker ]

Status
Not open for further replies.