laundry circuit load calculation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

arnettda

I have a single family home with 4 clothes washers and dryers. Do i count 4 laundry circuits for my load calculation and then derate from that or do I need to only count one?

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
I have a single family home with 4 clothes washers and dryers. Do i count 4 laundry circuits for my load calculation and then derate from that or do I need to only count one?
The laundry circuits are subject to the demand of Table 220.42. The dryer circuits are 100% per table 220.54. See 220.52 (B) and 220.54

arnettda

The laundry circuits are subject to the demand of Table 220.42. The dryer circuits are 100% per table 220.54. See 220.52 (B) and 220.54

Do I count one or 4 laundry circuits? 1500VA or 6000VA?

Undercounter wine refridgerators Do i add these or can they be in included with the general lighting load?

If I have more than one food refridgerator do I ad for both of these or are they covered by the kitchen small appliance circuit. Could I add them to the total number of small appliance branch circuits?

texie

Occupation
Do I count one or 4 laundry circuits? 1500VA or 6000VA?

Undercounter wine refridgerators Do i add these or can they be in included with the general lighting load?

If I have more than one food refridgerator do I ad for both of these or are they covered by the kitchen small appliance circuit. Could I add them to the total number of small appliance branch circuits?

The laundry circuits are 6000 VA added to the general lighting load, then apply the demand from Table 220.42. The under counter friges would go with the other appliances per 220.53 in my view.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
You also have to use T. 220.54 for the dryers. That calls for 100% so you would have 4 * 5000kva= 20000KVA. Art. 220.54 for kva of dryer Table 220.54 for the demand

arnettda

The laundry circuits are 6000 VA added to the general lighting load, then apply the demand from Table 220.42. The under counter friges would go with the other appliances per 220.53 in my view.

In 220.53 does this apply to only fastened in place appliances? Or does it mean you can only derate for fastened in place appliances of 4 or more and use full rating of all other appliances not fastened in place.

texie

Occupation
In 220.53 does this apply to only fastened in place appliances? Or does it mean you can only derate for fastened in place appliances of 4 or more and use full rating of all other appliances not fastened in place.

Good question. In my view these qualify as fastened in place appliances. The alternative would be to not count them at all as they would be part of the general lighting load and I don't think that is good practice. What if they had a water line connection. Is that fastened in place? I think including them in the appliance load is the conservative thing to do. Let's see what the inspector gurus say-I'm only a lowly contractor.:)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
See post #2.:)
oops I thought he had asked again but I read it incorrectly.

What is your take on the mini fridges? Are they appliances?
I do not see a mini fridge as fastened in place however it is an appliance. Now I have heard some people say that a washer is fastened in place because of the hoses but I don't buy that. Think of the appliances that get removed when you sell the house. Generally they are not fastened in place.

arnettda

oops I thought he had asked again but I read it incorrectly.

I do not see a mini fridge as fastened in place however it is an appliance. Now I have heard some people say that a washer is fastened in place because of the hoses but I don't buy that. Think of the appliances that get removed when you sell the house. Generally they are not fastened in place.

I would not call a mini fridge a fixed appliance but it is a small appliance so I should be able to add it to 220.52 (A) of my load calculation. And increase my total number of small appliance circuits. This is what i did for each of my large two door comercial fridges in the dwelling unit and used 8 small appliance circuits for my load calculation before I derated.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I would not call a mini fridge a fixed appliance but it is a small appliance so I should be able to add it to 220.52 (A) of my load calculation. And increase my total number of small appliance circuits. This is what i did for each of my large two door comercial fridges in the dwelling unit and used 8 small appliance circuits for my load calculation before I derated.
I would not consider that a small appliance circuit as it does not feed the countertop. I would also look at the nameplate as it is much less then 1500va

Status
Not open for further replies.