Laying up panels & moisture protection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a project (gov't) where we will commission our equipment, then layup the system for about 4 years.
The equipment will be in a warm, humid environment.

I assume that I should use an electrical conduit sealing putty (like GB DS-130) to seal the conduits, tape over any PLC, VFD, or other components vents, add dessicant to the enclosures.

Is there any other way, or does anyone have experience to make suggestions, so that I can be able to bring the equipment back to life after four years of non-operation?

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
I have a project (gov't) where we will commission our equipment, then layup the system for about 4 years.
The equipment will be in a warm, humid environment.

I assume that I should use an electrical conduit sealing putty (like GB DS-130) to seal the conduits, tape over any PLC, VFD, or other components vents, add dessicant to the enclosures.

Is there any other way, or does anyone have experience to make suggestions, so that I can be able to bring the equipment back to life after four years of non-operation?

yeah. they make cabinet heaters, with built in thermostats. install them, and then don't seal up vents. that may cause more problems than it solves.

most of the one's i have seen look like bars of solder, 6" to 9" long.... but there are these....

http://www.genesisautomationonline.com/heaters.php

renosteinke

I'm not sure there's a problem ... or, if there is one, that there is a solution.

I mean, once the gear is operating it will still be in that warm, humid environment. I would not count on the internal heat to protect the components. Rust, as Neil Young said, never sleeps.

So ... even if the stuff is in perfect order four years from now, the corrosion will still occur.

Let's look at the matter anew: what causes corrosion? Or, should I ask, what accellerates corrosion?

It seems to me that the biggest cause is condensation, rather than the atmosphere itself. Keep stuff from being cooler than the moist air, and the moisture will not settle on it. That's the key. So 'storage conditions' are what need monitoring, rather than sealing. At the minimum, keep the stuff at an even temperature as much as possible; even better is to artificially heat it just a bit more than the air around it.

Sealing the stuff will only make things worse. As a firm believer in Murphy's law, I see sealing as effective only in making sure that any moisture that enters will stay there, causing maximum harm.

Okie Sparky

You don't give us much info. as to where the equipment is, inside, outside, or if it includes the main switch gear or what. If there are any conduits entering switch gear or other enclosures, I think I would seal them up with duct seal to prevent damp, cool air from migrating into those enclosures. I would think that this would cause a problem.

hurk27

I have protected outdoor panels and equipment with a spray on silicone product that was thicker then most you can buy OC, it was more of a fogging oil like you would use for boats, but still was silicone and non-flammable, it was listed for protecting electrical equipment in harsh high moisture environments, also a few moth balls never hurts as they will keep mice and other rodents away, sealing conduits is also a must if they exit the building.

I can't remember the brand but I found it at a electronic supply shop.

nakulak

is it part of your contract to provide equipment that will come back in 4 years, or did the gov spec the equipment ? is it milspec ? why didn't they spec want kind of protective measures will be performed ? If they haven't made any provisions for it, I would plan on having to recommission after 4 yrs (?)

Status
Not open for further replies.