Layout Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Sorry a wiring question. Remember not an electrician so like input from the pro’s.
Not showing verticals in the picture.
MC cable being used.
Separate neutrals.
The square in the middle is 4 11/16” box that a 1” conduit from the panel with 5-1P-20(#10’s) circuits will come to.
I’m assuming a separate 12/2 mc cable for the receptacles for each circuit. So (5) mc cables will hit the box along with the 1”.

Does my layout/wiring make sense?

My concern, which I need to check, is the box size. I may need a bigger box for all (5) circuits. Maybe a 6x6.

Instead of a separate 12/2 mc cable to circuit #8 & 14 receptacles does it make more sense to run a multiple neutral mc cable to the first receptacle(circuit #8) then 12/2 to circuit #14 receptacle? This alternative layout is shown in red.

Thank you.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-24 084626.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-03-24 084626.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 38

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
5 20 amp circuits on a #12 is a potential derating problem and yes, in all likelihood the 4-11/16 is undersized

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I think you are getting way off into the weeds here. This should be left up to the guys doing the wiring. Having said that, I would not want to have to splice ten circuits and EGCs in one jbox unless it was sixteen inches or bigger. Nippling some 4-11 boxes and pulling the home runs into them without splices is another option. Let the guys in the field decide.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
I think you are getting way off into the weeds here. This should be left up to the guys doing the wiring. Having said that, I would not want to have to splice ten circuits and EGCs in one jbox unless it was sixteen inches or bigger. Nippling some 4-11 boxes and pulling the home runs into them without splices is another option. Let the guys in the field decide.
5 circuits not 10.
Maybe a bit into the weeds but also want to make sure I’m close on the amount of my cable that’ll be used.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I would use 2-wire MC cable as depicted. Also we would never use a single 4 11/16 box with a 1" home run conduit. We would use a 3 or 4 gang rough house box. A 6X6 would also work. Some of our foremen only use 12X12's. Here's our typical home run box.

Home run box.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.