LB to meter base

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all. I have some clearance issues and I am wondering the best way to attach a 2" LB directly to the side of a 200 amp meter can. I'm guessing a chase nipple would not be watertight? Or satisfy bonding requirements? Thanks for any help, Ned.

iwire

Staff member
I think a chase nipple will present a bonding issue unless the conduit it connects to can be bonded on the other end.

All of my bonding will be done inside at the panel. So I will have a #4 equipment ground inside the conduit. I was under the impression that a bonding locknut was required at each though.

iwire

Staff member
I do not know of any NEC section that requires bonding a raceway twice.

What a minute, you say there is an EGC in the conduit?

Should I assume there is a breaker at the meter?

No breaker at meter. My first 200 amp service, so mabye I'm doing this all wrong!
#4 from ground rod to panel.
#4 from water pipe to panel.
Ground and neutral bonded together inside panel.
#4 from panel to meter can?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The EGC in the service raceway is a red flag since you said that all of the bonding is done at the panel.

mcclary's electrical

No breaker at meter. My first 200 amp service, so mabye I'm doing this all wrong!
#4 from panel to meter can?[/QUOTE]

NOt in VA, they don't let you bond the can. Dominion, Rappahannock, or CVEC

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
#4 from panel to meter can?

Problem! If you run a grounding and grounded conductor both and you have bonded the neutral in the panel you have paralleled two unlike conductors. There is no need for the grounding (#4) conductor from the meter to the panel. Your grounded conductor serves as the grounding means to your service panel with the bonding jumper.
Since you are bonded at the mater and the panel, you only need to bond one end of your conduit (as it is no being used as a conductor) so you can bond at the panel and use your chase nipple.

(In some areas POCO wants a grounding electrode conductor to originat at the meter)

Last edited:

realolman

Problem! If you run a grounding and grounded conductor both and you have bonded the neutral in the panel you have paralleled two unlike conductors. There is no need for the grounding (#4) conductor from the meter to the panel. Your grounded conductor serves as the grounding means to your service panel with the bonding jumper.
Since you are bonded at the mater and the panel, you only need to bond one end of your conduit (as it is no being used as a conductor) so you can bond at the panel and use your chase nipple.

(In some areas POCO wants a grounding electrode conductor to originat at the meter)

You have lost me. :confused:

iwire

Staff member
You have lost me. :confused:

The neutral will be bonded to the meter can and it will be bonded to the service panel, if an EGC is also run between these two points it becomes a parallel path for neutral current. Probably would never be a real problem but running the EGC would not be needed and IMO would not add to the safety of the installation.

I am going to remove the factory jumper in the meter can.
So the only bond would be in the panel.

Put in a ton of 1000 amp services with CT cans, but one little 200 amp has me stymied!:grin:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)

Put in a ton of 1000 amp services with CT cans, but one little 200 amp has me stymied!:grin:

WOAH! I may have misunderstood something. Factory jumper ?
Never saw a meter can with a "factory jumper". The cans in these parts have the neutral buss already bonded to the can. Is this a combination meter with overcurrent protraction ? If it is connecting the grounded conductor to the can it is needed to bond the can, don't get rid of it. The "unneeded" conductor is the #4 from the can to the panel.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

The meter can is required to be bonded to the neutral since it's on the line side of the service disconnect.

realolman

This is getting weird.:)

So technically, you should NOT use locknuts on both ends of a conduit from the meter base to the panel?:confused:

Why would you want to remove the bonding jumper in the can?

Do NOT connect the GEC to the meter base AND the neutral in the panel.
Leave the neutral bonded to the enclosure in the meter base.

iwire

Staff member
The meter can is required to be bonded to the neutral since it's on the line side of the service disconnect.

I agree and cannot understand what is going on here. Somethings are not making sense.

Around here there are no approved meter sockets or CT cans that you would be able to 'unbond', the neutral terminals are bolted directly to the enclosures.

hardworkingstiff

This explains it to me.

Around here (Wilmington, NC) the PoCo supplies the CT cabinet but the EC is responsible for bonding the CT cabinet. The AHJs allow a jumper from the neutral inside the CT cabinet or a ground from the 1st means of disconnect to come back to the CT cabinet to provide the EGC for the cabinet (this is using PVC conduit). If ned is used to bringing back the EGC from the 1st means of disconnect then I can see what he's trying to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.