Learning how to solar

Status
Not open for further replies.

GLSA

I have searched for some threads on learning how to do solar and didn't find any so if there is any please point me in that direction.

I want to learn how to do PV but the contractor I work for has no desire to get in PV and I really do not want to quit to find a contractor who does. I know MH provides training for the code side of it but does anybody provide training for the install side?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
check with your local city college or trade school.
IMO, it is not a trade that you want to learn through an online class.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
There are online forums, such as www.solarpaneltalk.com, which are visited by both consumers, DIYers and solar professionals. You can get some general background there and maybe find some advice about how to get actual hands-on installation experience. Some of our PV forum regulars also post on such forums.

GLSA

check with your local city college or trade school.
IMO, it is not a trade that you want to learn through an online class.

I do want hands on training. I emailed Mike's office and he said that Solar Energy International is the best, but the cost and travel over is kind of prohibitive although I would do it if that is the best option.

Zee

You gotta DO it, to learn all the things that go into a quality installation. Pay your dues........ then install.
Books are great for the math/design parts.

I do not know where you are. BUT, If there is market for your eventual solar services ....then there is someone serving that market that could employ you.

The cost may seem high...but you can make good $ in solar....if you don't f&%% up...which in turn depends on your knowledge in the first place

SolarPro

Ken Gardner at Gardner Engineering is a good local resource. He teaches at SEI regularly. And he was one of the first PEs designing and installing solar projects in Utah.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Here is a certification that you might want to work towards. I am new to this industry so am not aware of the payback for having this certification.

http://www.nabcep.org/certification/pv-installer-certification

I am a NABCEP certified Solar Professional. In some jurisdictions it is the gold standard while in others it isn't worth as much. Here in Austin, in order to install systems that qualify for incentives there must be a NABCEP certified person reviewing and signing off on every design, and each certified person acting in that capacity can only perform that duty for a single company.

Beyond that I will only say that it is a challenging certification to obtain, and no one gets it without extensive understanding of PV systems design, installation, and NEC compliance, as well as some hands on experience. If you are applying for a job in the solar industry and are NABCEP professionally certified (if all you have done is pass the NABCEP entry level exam you are NOT certified), you most likely will have a considerable advantage over anyone who isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.