Learning Something New

Jimmy7

Occupation
Electrician
I’m always asking questions, and always looking to learn something new. The problem is that if I learn something new, I then remember that I did that same thing wrong in the past. The reason was either I didn’t know then what I know now, or I was taught wrong to begin with. With that being said, do you move forward, or do you try go back and fix the mistakes. Is there a line in the sand with this? I have been driving myself crazy over this.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
At my age I don't have enough time left to go back and correct things I did not knowing better such as installing a lot of breakers before I heard of AIC ratings.

Choice_Gorilla

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If it’s a job I’m currently working on, I fix it. If it’s something from the past there’s nothing I can really do. If I thought it was a serious life safety issue I guess I would get my boss involved.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
I installed an FPE panel, just before they lost UL. I was so proud of that installation at the time. Head down, hat in hand with apologies when I had to tell them years later it needed to be replaced when they wanted to add circuits.

What I did three yeas ago was legal but not now? Throw in 42 years ago? Nope, I still sleep well.