led 3 way dimming

Status
Not open for further replies.

djd

Is there a product out there that I can dim led lamps with three ways when I only have a a hot , neutral and switch leg present at my two switch boxes.What is there now is the icon smart dimmers , the neutral is feeding the lights so I could not use it.

blkmagik21

Is there a product out there that I can dim led lamps with three ways when I only have a a hot , neutral and switch leg present at my two switch boxes.What is there now is the icon smart dimmers , the neutral is feeding the lights so I could not use it.

Maestro cfl/LED dimmer switch. It only needs 2 wires to a single pole switch to work as a 3 way. Or you can use the maestro slave switch.

Made by lutron. They are amazing. I keep about 6 in my truck at all times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
If you are looking for a dimmer circuit that can operate in the conditions you describe (three wires at each box, one from each box going in parallel to the light, I think) I do not see any way of doing it that does not include communication between the two switch locations, or even among the two switch locations and an active element at the controlled light. You do not have a spare wire that can be used that way.

Worst case use a fan/light remote control unit mounted in the light outlet box and a wireless or carrier current remote at each switch box.

blkmagik21

If you are looking for a dimmer circuit that can operate in the conditions you describe (three wires at each box, one from each box going in parallel to the light, I think) I do not see any way of doing it that does not include communication between the two switch locations, or even among the two switch locations and an active element at the controlled light. You do not have a spare wire that can be used that way.

Worst case use a fan/light remote control unit mounted in the light outlet box and a wireless or carrier current remote at each switch box.

Lutron has a maestro controller fan / light wireless switch with a canopy module that works well with that as well.

Don't forget the lutron caseta pico remote and maestro switch.

Can you describe the wiring in more detail? I don't think we are clear on it (at least I'm not). Do you have a three wire between the switches that passes thru the light fixture box with feed at the light lixture?

djd

led dimming

led dimming

Can you describe the wiring in more detail? I don't think we are clear on it (at least I'm not). Do you have a three wire between the switches that passes thru the light fixture box with feed at the light lixture?
What I have are two three way switches existing that are Lcon brand , they both have a black hot, and red switch leg and neutral attached to each of the dimmers. These are smart home controls that can be controlled via wifi. I am not familiar with these The actual wiring seems be the power is looped thru the switch boxes and whether three wire is looped thru all the fixtures is not yet known . I know I can Make it work with a switch if I could find and isolate one wire . They wanted to keep two dimmers , and if I could make it work with one switch It may end up where they dont want it. I was hopping for another product that may work but may have to wait a few years. I hope this makes sense

djd

djd

djd

Maestro cfl/LED dimmer switch. It only needs 2 wires to a single pole switch to work as a 3 way. Or you can use the maestro slave switch.

Made by lutron. They are amazing. I keep about 6 in my truck at all times.

Have you ever had a problem with these Maestro dimmers working with a three way switch having a delay , I have one that works fine , the other two if the three way switch works its delayed. The lamps are check , the wiring check and I did program the dimmer. They are good dimmers when they work , he didnt even want a three way no choice at least for now or far as I know.

blkmagik21

The higher the load the faster the dimmer turns on. A 3 way switch should not be used. A single pole switch should on the opposite box as the maestro. It's all in the instructions.

MNSparky

Occupation
Electrical Contractor - 2023 NEC
What I have are two three way switches existing that are Lcon brand , they both have a black hot, and red switch leg and neutral attached to each of the dimmers. These are smart home controls that can be controlled via wifi. I am not familiar with these The actual wiring seems be the power is looped thru the switch boxes and whether three wire is looped thru all the fixtures is not yet known . I know I can Make it work with a switch if I could find and isolate one wire . They wanted to keep two dimmers , and if I could make it work with one switch It may end up where they dont want it. I was hopping for another product that may work but may have to wait a few years. I hope this makes sense

if I understand correctly, you have two locations with a hot-neutral-switch leg at each location and you want to be able to dim LEDs from both locations.

You would be able to do this with the Lutron Caseta line. It's designed as a wired switch with a wireless remote type of system. The remote can be mounted on a box like a switch. You would wire the wired like a single pole and install the remote at the other box. You would be able to dim LEDs from both locations with this setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.