LED ambient

Status
Not open for further replies.
NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
My SIL isa GC. They put some LED lighting around a Deck. Post top, steps etc. The owner has complained that when it gets cold they do not work. As in very dim. This was a problem before below freezing, now at -0 they are a wasteof time to even turn the switch on. Warm temps and they have to be dimmed. I called the 800# and asked about the ambient operating range. They did not have one, or at least could not tell me of it.

I see ambient ranges available for LEDs we sell, isnt this standard information ?

Smart $

Esteemed Member

I see ambient ranges available for LEDs we sell, isnt this standard information ?
Not from what I've seen. Only the more reputable lighting manufacturers publish that information. And there's usually a higher market price associated with the product.

That said, from what information I could glean for confirmation, LED output is actually supposed to increase the lower the junction temperature gets, so dimming is a result of the driver circuitry rather than the LED itself.

mgookin

My SIL isa GC. They put some LED lighting around a Deck. Post top, steps etc. The owner has complained that when it gets cold they do not work. As in very dim. This was a problem before below freezing, now at -0 they are a wasteof time to even turn the switch on. Warm temps and they have to be dimmed. I called the 800# and asked about the ambient operating range. They did not have one, or at least could not tell me of it.

If it's a listed product it should have ambient storage and operating ranges.

Status
Not open for further replies.