led and incandescent dimming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So tried to find my answer in previous posts but uncertain. Parts house can't clearly answer me either. Customer wants to dimm incandescent sconces along with Sylvania led retros. Is there a dimmer for this?? Thanks.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
So tried to find my answer in previous posts but uncertain. Parts house can't clearly answer me either. Customer wants to dimm incandescent sconces along with Sylvania led retros. Is there a dimmer for this?? Thanks.
There are dimmers (mostly the three wire type) that can dim both LEDs and incandescent with the same dimmer circuit. But the problem is that the two will not track.That is they will dim at different rates and will "turn off" at different positions of the dimmer control.

An architectural lighting system might have the ability to associate different settings on two different dimmer units with one preset on a single control.

How well LED and incandescent will track without special circuitry will vary greatly from one LED unit to another, so you may have to actually try the combination you want to see how well it works.

electricmanscott

First and most important, never ask the supply house for technical help. Step 1 is making sure the Leds are dimmable and if so what dimmers do they spec or recommend. Lutron CL dimmers are an LED dimmer and I've had some success with them. With lights that didn't work well with those an electronic low voltage dimmer has worked. I've also had LEDs that are "dimmable" but no dimmer will dim them without the led humming regardless of what the lamp makers tech support says. :slaphead:

Status
Not open for further replies.