LED Corn Cob lamp

nizak

On many occasions I’ve seen where Edison base corn cob style led lamps are used in HID fixtures.

Is this a common practice to use a Mogul adapter and then use the cob in place of a HPS , Metal Halide, or Mercury vapor lamp?

Would voltage output from the ballast need to be checked prior to doing it?

nizak

Remove the ballast from the circuit. Make sure your Lamp is suitable for the voltage applied.
I don't know if it's common to use the reducer, but I know of no restriction. I've used them for different types of lamps.
Thank you. I was under the impression the ballast stayed operational .

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
Well, you should have known better!🙂

His question was about the lamp but you have a good point.
Owner provided LED's, ordered online, not likely FCC tested, much less NRTL.

Electronic noise from Amazon junk probably destroyed my photocells.

kwired

Electron manager
Owner provided LED's, ordered online, not likely FCC tested, much less NRTL.

Electronic noise from Amazon junk probably destroyed my photocells.
Most photocells are nothing more than a small heat element with current through it controlled by the cell and a contact on a bimetal spring actuated by the heater. Can't believe harmonics or other high frequency noise on the supply line would effect this very much.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Most photocells are nothing more than a small heat element with current through it controlled by the cell and a contact on a bimetal spring actuated by the heater. Can't believe harmonics or other high frequency noise on the supply line would effect this very much.
My thoughts were the high initial current of the LEDs were the problem.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The ones I'm familiar with have a light-dependent resistor that operates a circuit that triggers a relay or a triac.

I would think that a relay would handle the load. Maybe have your photocell operate a separate contactor.

kwired

Electron manager
My thoughts were the high initial current of the LEDs were the problem.
That would be an issue with the switch contacts not being suitable for the application if that is what is happening.

Though we've used these on magnetic ballasts for years and they probably are comparable or even worse when it comes to initial current?

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
For photocell Nameplates that shows "Electronic Ballast" the Amp rating is much less than Tungsten, or Florescent Ballast.
djuly1j3idynn.cloudfront.net/userfiles/images/inriver/original/134402_ek4000%20series%20instructions.pdf