LED Dimmer Switch with GFCI Receptacles

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisOwens

Occupation
Contractor
Recently renovated a covered back porch for a customer. Used 12/2 wire on a single 20 amp breaker. The first fixture was a gfci, then a switch (controls 2 ceiling fans), then another gfci, then a long run to the other side of the porch, about 40 ft. Halfway across that run I spliced in a another switch that controls 5 recessed lights.
Customer called back and wants a dimmer switch to control the recessed lights. I’m hesitant as I don’t know if the dimmer would affect the gfci’s. Has anyone run into this before?

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Recently renovated a covered back porch for a customer. Used 12/2 wire on a single 20 amp breaker. The first fixture was a gfci, then a switch (controls 2 ceiling fans), then another gfci, then a long run to the other side of the porch, about 40 ft. Halfway across that run I spliced in a another switch that controls 5 recessed lights.
Customer called back and wants a dimmer switch to control the recessed lights. I’m hesitant as I don’t know if the dimmer would affect the gfci’s. Has anyone run into this before?
Should not be a problem.

Another C10

Electrical Contractor 1987 - present
Occupation
Electrician NEC 2020
I’m hesitant as I don’t know if the dimmer would affect the gfci’s
Id say if the GFI protection is through a breaker then no problem.

If the GFI protection is through a receptacle then unless ones dimming on the load side of the device, Id do it, the line side ... not so much.

I may not be clear on the design your working with.

ChrisOwens

Occupation
Contractor
Id say if the GFI protection is through a breaker then no problem.

If the GFI protection is through a receptacle then unless ones dimming on the load side of the device, Id do it, the line side ... not so much.

I may not be clear on the design your working with.
The dimmer would be on the line side. What are your concerns?

Another C10

Electrical Contractor 1987 - present
Occupation
Electrician NEC 2020
The dimmer would be on the line side. What are your concerns?
well, I may not be understanding the proximity of the GFI within the dimming function but I'd rather not lower the voltage through using a dimmer upon a standard GFI receptacle, not so much for a hazardous reason, more so for someone inadvertently plugging a 110/130v motor load into it for use. The load side of the GFI would allow the receptacle to maintain its steady 120v supply.

Keep in mind I'm not seeing the context of the GFI in relation to the dimmer.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
I don’t have my book but can’t you not dim receptacles???
Google says 406.15.

Though it sounds like the dimmer would be on the load side of the gfci so no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.