LED Dimming Issues - R30

Status
Not open for further replies.

KP2

Hi everyone, I was wodering if anyone else is having dimming issues with LED R-30 15 watt screw in LED lamps.

When we install more than 10 on a circuit we loose the dimming capabilities.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Are you using the appropriate dimmer? AND yes I have heard of many issues with dimming LED even with philips bulbs and the LED Lutron Dimmers.

KP2

Thanks for the quick respons, and Yes we are using Lutron Diva C.L with the trim dial.

We have found that they work when we have 2 to 10 lamps on a circuit. so we need to split up the circuits. This extra cost has not gone over well when the customer has spent good money on LED's.:happysad:

ELA

Occupation
Electrical Test Engineer
If the lamps have been confirmed to be compatible with the dimmer ( Lutron offers a compatibility list) then:

It could be a repetitive Inrush current limitation. This is something fairly new with CFLs and LED lamps that are being dimmed.

Here is a reference where they talk about the maximum number of lamps that can be used with dimmers:

http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocumentLibrary/Wattage%20calculation.pdf

KP2

We are using LED lamps that are on the list, and if we are have ing these issues still, do you think putting in a SCR may help, like used on VFD's.

I may have the wrong component or application in mind, I remeber reading a post a few years back about using SCR's.

ELA

Occupation
Electrical Test Engineer
The document I linked says 10 (15 Watt LEDs) are max on the 600 Watt dimmer.

KP2

You know what, I missed the dimmer rating being reduced to 150 Watts for LED, these retro projects are going to get expensive.

We are having trouble with just 2 lamps, as well, growing pains; right.

Thanks again everyone
Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.