Led high bay

Bburke631

New User
Occupation
Electrician
Engineer is saying I need to have a plug on all my led high bay lights in warehouse. He’s citing 410.62(c)(1)(a) through (c)(1)(c). I interpret that it’s explaining where you CAN use a plug. Not that it’s required to use a plug. Just looking if anyone can explain this better? Right not they are hard wired to boxes on the steel near each light using the whip that was already on light from manufacture

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
Engineer is saying I need to have a plug on all my led high bay lights in warehouse. He’s citing 410.62(c)(1)(a) through (c)(1)(c). I interpret that it’s explaining where you CAN use a plug. Not that it’s required to use a plug. Just looking if anyone can explain this better? Right not they are hard wired to boxes on the steel near each light using the whip that was already on light from manufacture

BTW - I grew up in East Burg! (y)

Flicker Index

Occupation
Lights
Practicality wise though, transistorized LED ballasts are fragile. If one fails, that's going to be flipping the switch that may turn however may lights that maybe associated with that switch. It's especially more relevant when it fails in the characteristic rapid flashing mode failure unique to the L.E.D. type lighting.

Engineer should have taken a few English classes. The section is:

410.62 Cord-Connected Lampholders and Luminaires.

If it's not cord connected, then that section does not apply do not read any further! If they are cord connected, note the "shall be permitted". Czeesh, how can someone pass a PE exam but not understand some basic English 🙄

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Engineer should have taken a few English classes. The section is:

410.62 Cord-Connected Lampholders and Luminaires.

If it's not cord connected, then that section does not apply do not read any further! If they are cord connected, note the "shall be permitted". Czeesh, how can someone pass a PE exam but not understand some basic English 🙄
I guess I skipped the same English class as the engineer :)
As I read it, the fixture shall be permitted to be cord connected IF it meets one of the 3 conditions (a) thru (c) which appear to be cord AND plug, part of an assembly including strain relief and canopy or manufacturing wiring system. Otherwise it would need to be hardwired.

I would agree that it is not clear if (b) requires the "assembly equipped with a strain relief and canopy" is referencing the factory assembled hanging luminaries that come so equipped or if you could field install a separate canopy.
Locally our inspectors require cord and plug unless the whole assembly is factory