LED lamp failing

Occupation
electrician
I am having an issue with some LED I installed and a battle with salesman that claims the installation is the cause. These lights are completely self contained LED fixtures from Forest Lighting T8n435. It come with a standard 5-15 cord cap that plugs in the end that is removable to wire in directly. These also have an option of chaining them together with a plastic adapter. The light is rated at 100-277v 0.18amp. I installed 8 of them chained together to 277v 20amp circuit.
They worked fine until a month later then 2 of them in the middle started flashing. I checked power was fine and no matter what location in the string I put those 2 that started flashing they both continued to flash. Even if plugged into a wall individually. Salesman claimed my installation was wrong that too many were connected together and caused the damage. My own curiosity got me and I opened one up and it turns that the LED board is wired to the input ckt wiring at one end only and that there is a 16ga wire going to the other end for chaining them together. So in my opinion the lights are technically not chained together as in the power does not go thru any of the components to get to the other end.
I guess Im just looking for confirmation of what I think regarding the claim that there is too many lights connected to each other. I dont feel they are connected together at all.
Thanks for reading.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Welcome to the forum.

They worked fine until a month later then 2 of them in the middle started flashing. I checked power was fine and no matter what location in the string I put those 2 that started flashing they both continued to flash. Even if plugged into a wall individually.
That tells me that the power supplies of just those two went bad.

If there were too many lights, the end ones would have failed first.

Occupation
electrician
Yes agree that the lights failed themselves. It appeared to me that it wouldnt have been possible to fail the way the guys was saying. the instruction book did not say there was a limit to the amount of lights you could connect together. After seeing how they were built and that they only draw 0.18 amps 19watts that there could be quite a few connected together not exceeding the rate of the 16ga wire inside. Thanks everybody

Flicker Index

Occupation
Lights
That's a classic rail and rung chain with pass through rail and the fixture just being one rung.

Looks like Forest Lighting is a China brand. https://www.forestlighting.com/collection/indoor-lighting/2 ask the factory what the limit is within telling them how many you've installed. If it wasn't specified in manual how many you can daisy together, it's not really your fault, within reason.

If you linked a 1/4 mile of them together to light a drag strip, I'd say that's crossing the reasonableness line, but I don't think eight quite puts it to that point.

These days, the ballast cost more than the LED elements and it's common for them to skimp out on ballast components.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
In this led industry you take a huge chance of buying crap. I stick with Name brands. But that’s a gamble since Costco sell one of the cheapest crap ever FEIT

garbo

In this led industry you take a huge chance of buying crap. I stick with Name brands. But that’s a gamble since Costco sell one of the cheapest crap ever FEIT
We had a contractor install over a hundred fairly high end 2 by 2' LED luminares in drop ceilings during a remodel. They were purchased at a big supply house. In less then a year at least a dozen failed under warranty. Also a few covers were cracked. When they contacted the supply house they said the cheating china company that made them went out of business. Contractor had to remove luminares from two small offices to replace burnt out units in hall way and a conference room. They purchased made in good old USA LED luminares to replace the ones they removed. Of course work had to be done on weekends.

PaulWDent

I bought several boxes of "Ecosmart dimmable" 1722XL candelabra type lamps to replace incandescents. They die like flies! As of this morning, about half had died in a year. Worse life than incandescents! Then today we had a severe thunderstorm. Even though the lights were off when there was a nearby crash of lightning, another 8 are now dead.
The problem is, they have zero built in transient suppression, which is really essential for semiconductors connected to dirty residential supplies.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
We had a contractor install over a hundred fairly high end 2 by 2' LED luminares in drop ceilings during a remodel. They were purchased at a big supply house. In less then a year at least a dozen failed under warranty. Also a few covers were cracked. When they contacted the supply house they said the cheating china company that made them went out of business. Contractor had to remove luminares from two small offices to replace burnt out units in hall way and a conference room. They purchased made in good old USA LED luminares to replace the ones they removed. Of course work had to be done on weekends.
What led are manufactured here maybe assembled

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I installed a couple of $1200 Hubble wall packs several years ago, had to replace both of them in two years. Replaced them with China $120 equivalents, and those are still working after three years. Unfortunately Made in America doesn’t mean good quality anymore. It just means you pay more for the same poor quality.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
I installed a couple of $1200 Hubble wall packs several years ago, had to replace both of them in two years. Replaced them with China $120 equivalents, and those are still working after three years. Unfortunately Made in America doesn’t mean good quality anymore. It just means you pay more for the same poor quality.
That's 100 percent true for lighting products and cars and any other cut throat mass produced products.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
the only thing is Hubble will be around for warranty vs fly by night China.
Out of 160 of the China wallpacks and UFO high bays I’ve installed, I’ve only had two failures. You have to watch out for super cheap Chinese fixtures though, the company that I previously worked for installed a bunch of real cheap 1000 watt equivalent UFO’s that had a 100% failure rate in the first six months, they gave $35 a piece for them, and expected them to last! The LED’s were overheating and burning out because of very little heat sinks. The manufacturer tried to claim it was because the building was not climate controlled and the fixtures were at the peak of the building. Building was a heavy equipment repair shop that had large roll up doors open all day.