LED lighting,wet location.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dicklaxt

I have never even read a paper on LED Lighting,,,so under these scenarios,120volt supply voltage,PVC conduit,non hazardous and an extremely wet (salt water/sea water) location/atmoshere, and 50 lux/5fc maintained illumination,,,,,,,,The question is, are there any unknowns when dealing with LED lighting and components I need to look/watch out for?

I may be able to go with LV but runs are up to 500' and VD may get me,larger lighting branch circuits to local distribution J-boxes is an option but also may be cost prohibitive.

Any and all comments appreciated.

dick

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
There are numerous unknowns about LED. They really have not been around long enough to know all the problems but salt walter and any fixture is a mixture for trouble. The LED may be a more expensive problem.

There are some LV LED rope lights that are rated for outdoor but if there are subject to the sun I have no idea how they will perform.

dbuckley

Call Global Design Solutions, 789 Blvd East, Weehawken, NJ 07086, (201) 824 5082 and talk about the their LED Warm White Domes

minack-night-from-top-300x199.jpg

BrianMuir

Can you provide some info about the lighting requirements beyond intensity...
what is the application? How big an area? Is there a uniformity specification? Is it new construction or refit?

dicklaxt

New construction ,wood dock 2 feet over high tide , saltwater location 500 feet long,source voltage is a 120/240 panel at the offshore end,this is walkway lighting only to stumble by and not step on a snake or kick an alligator,3 way switching at both onshore and offshore locations.No specs,its a goverment job,smile

Now you know all I know.

dick

hurk27

Invest in allot of dielectric grease, and water resistant (grease filled) wire nuts, and maybe filling your junction boxes with a potting compound, and it might last a few years.:grin:

the fixtures should be of a sealed type.

mottiqua

You would want an LED that is Marine Grade or IP67 rated to account for harsh conditions. The biggest concern is the temperature. LEDs tend not to like hot climates (think Arizona type temps)
the other issue is the color matching....it may say it's a 3000k, but it could vary from that (typically you see this with cheap models)

You can try these LED's, I've used them before...not very expensive (compared to Modular or Bega) and good quality. Suitable for decks and docks.

http://www.eyeleds.com/uploads/tx_products/Eyeleds_Outdoor_Pro_Spec_Sheet_03-10.pdf

Hope that helps

Since LED's don't eat much, voltage drop shouldn't be much of a problem. None of the units I have in house at the moment take more than 450ma per section (at a max of about 48v) and most are lower.

Rope lights- I've seen a bunch of LED rope lights installed in the Montana sun. Seem to be OK after maybe 5 years. Not that this means they'll last another 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.