LED lights turning on and off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hfalz1

I just installed three 120w 120v 16900 lumens wall packs in parallel with one photocell to control all of them. They had only been on one night. The next morning when i came to see them they would turn on and off randomly. At random time intervals also. Wondering if it could be a bad photocell or if the photocell could be bad for the three drivers in the wall packs.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
I just installed three 120w 120v 16900 lumens wall packs in parallel with one photocell to control all of them. They had only been on one night. The next morning when i came to see them they would turn on and off randomly. At random time intervals also. Wondering if it could be a bad photocell or if the photocell could be bad for the three drivers in the wall packs.

Check the photocell wiring.
If line and load is reversed it will do exactly what you described.

I had a similar problem with some pole lights. The photocell was an Intermatic installed under a gutter outside. It was facing the building so it would not get direct light from the parking lot. The photocell would turn the lights on. The light would bounce off the building and turn the photocell off. Then it would repeat the cycle. The time frames were not exact because these are slow acting photocells. We ended up putting a button-type photocell in so we could face it straight down and colored half of the window on the photocell in with a black sharpie marker.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
The photocell doesn't care what the load is (other than wrong voltage, too much load, etc)
Never seen a photocell especially rated for LED lighting.
Could you be thinking of a dimmer?
A photocell assembly may use the photo-sensitive element to drive electronics that control current to the load.
It would be possible to build a device that either required control current to return through the load or to allow a small leakage current. Either of those could interact badly with LED drivers as the only load.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.