LED Luminaires

Status
Not open for further replies.

joebell

I recieved a shipment of 3 "architectural Pendant" LED luminaires yesterday. When I opened the crate and removed the packing material the first thing I noticed right next to the UL label was a marking stating this was an incandescent luminaire. Next I removed the canopy from the mounting bracket and found a 5 conductor cable and another label that stated the following: E1= Blue, E2=Green, + = White, - = Black, Dimming = Red. There were no wiring diagram shipped so i tried looking on the manufacturers website for instructions and found nothing. I called the manufacturer and after waiting for over 2 hours final got an email of the components from which the luminaire was built.

The driver is a Lutron HI-LUME product, so my question is this, it appears the E1 & E2 are the class 2 10% dimming control so is it permissable to use the green conductor of this cable for this connection? I do not believe the exceptions in 250.199 apply. The same cable contains the line voltage conductors in addition to the 2 used for the class 2 control.There also appears to be no equipment ground connection from the canopy to the luminaire. Are any of the above stated issues worth reporting this to UL?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Typically these Lutron drivers use 2-wire control and H/N/G. The dim leg on the driver is not used so your feed should have 5 conductors, H/N, Control and EGC. The control can be used as Class 1 if within the same cable.

joebell

Typically these Lutron drivers use 2-wire control and H/N/G. The dim leg on the driver is not used so your feed should have 5 conductors, H/N, Control and EGC. The control can be used as Class 1 if within the same cable.

my question has more to do with using the green conductor in the cable being used for the control circuit. Keep in mind this is the way it was shipped from the manufacturer. I thought this was a violation of 250.119 to use the green conductor for anything other than an EGC? I do not even see how the exceptions to that section would apply? Also as stated in my OP there is no allowance for an EGC as shipped.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Just to clarify the driver is within the fixture? If so then the fixture needs an EGC, if the manufacturer used the EGC in the cord for something else then the fixture is not properly wired, wouldn't be the first time that happened. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.