LED Recessed Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexm3g

Has anyone installed LED recessed lighting for residential? Is there a preferred product or manufacturer? How about installing the LED retrofit kits into existing recessed cans? Any issues? I'm getting ready to start a home project and install about 25 fixtures.

Thanks.

teamneon

New User
We have installed quite a few of the utilitech remodel fixtures from lowes and while the lighting is good, they dont sit flush against the ceiling well.
It seems the springs need some adjusting to get them to pull tight to the ceiling.

Juno

Juno

Juno is a quality brand for residential LED recessed lighting. They make a great product that will last a long time. Juno has a large variety of options and a great technical support team that can walk you through choosing the right product. They can be reached at 1-847-827-9880.

Good luck!
Tony

Last edited by a moderator:

Occupation
Inspector
Has anyone installed LED recessed lighting for residential? Is there a preferred product or manufacturer? How about installing the LED retrofit kits into existing recessed cans? Any issues? I'm getting ready to start a home project and install about 25 fixtures.

Thanks.

I did a Kitchen about a year ago and used:
Contrast RELED300LU1 & REDLED300LU2 remodel housings with LED G-325-113W1 & LED 347-11-113W2 Bulb/Trims.
I used Leviton VIZIA+ dimmers

I had to wire the Kitchen lighting knowing that it was going to be covered with drywall and go back later to cut them in. It was a nightmare but it had to be done that way. The entire job took about a year to complete.

Attachments

• IMG_4317.jpg
    IMG_4317.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 0

hmspe

Occupation
PE
I'd wait for Cooper's SLD LED fixtures to be available. Mounts to a 4-0 box, no housing required. They have been showing it at recent WaveStream Tour 2013 stops. Not on the web site yet but it is supposed to available very soon. Your Cooper rep should have information.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I did a Kitchen about a year ago and used:
Contrast RELED300LU1 & REDLED300LU2 remodel housings with LED G-325-113W1 & LED 347-11-113W2 Bulb/Trims.
I used Leviton VIZIA+ dimmers

I had to wire the Kitchen lighting knowing that it was going to be covered with drywall and go back later to cut them in. It was a nightmare but it had to be done that way. The entire job took about a year to complete.

Why use remodel cans in new construction. Was the spacing too close for frame in?

PetrosA

I'm doing a basement now that had 34 recessed lights on the drawing, but someone failed to notice that little stuff like ductwork, pipes and joists were going to be an issue. It looks like we're going with the Seagull 14600S 5"-6" retrofit kit which fits in a 4" round deep box or a 4" square deep box. They put out a very good amount of light, but they do protrude slightly. I also used two of them together with two Juno ICLED20R and five WAC HR-LED87 at another job. The 3k color temp between manufacturers doesn't match perfectly, but the customer is happy.

Some manufacturer needs to design remodel and new work housings around an LED driver and module instead of retrofitting them into existing housing designs. It's stupid to need that much space in the ceiling. For pucks, the new -87 series are great - they use a standard CL2 driver that's dimmable out of the gates and they're easy to install. It's a shame they're not rated for drywall ceilings.

Stevareno

Why use remodel cans in new construction. Was the spacing too close for frame in?

He said he had to install them after the sheetrock was installed. Sometimes you have to do it this way when placement is critical.
I just wonder if he had to cheat on some of them due to studs being in the way. I hate it when that happens.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
I'm curious if anyone has encountered good quality major label product similar to this (off brand and probable not to be trusted) unit:

http://www.amazon.com/LEDwholesalers-156-LED-Light-LED-2202WW/dp/B006RE6OYY/ref=pd_cp_hi_3

The unit is a ring of surface mount LED chips on a heat sink, with a diffusing glass in the middle. Claimed to be of similar thickness to the drywall. An external box houses the driver circuit.

The off brand units found here don't have any sort of proper mounting or protection for the high voltage leads to the driver, and while the low voltage leads from driver to LEDs could fit the rules for power limited circuits, it is not clear if the driver is suitably rated for this use.

It could be useful to have fixtures that could be placed anywhere, even under joists.

Thanks
Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.