LED retronfit

Status
Not open for further replies.

arnettda

Can someone point me towards other posts or articles or give me your advice when switching from T-8 lamp to LED lamps and keeping the ballast or completely getting rid of it? By pass versus non bypass lamps I believe would be the correct terms. Thank you

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I strongly believe that the bypass, direct-wire type is the only way to go. Why pay to keep the ballasts warm? It's similar to people who replace automotive turn-signal bulbs with LEDs, and then add load resistors to load the existing thermal flasher, instead of installing an LED-compatible one. Why waste the energy you're trying to save?

I recently had a few customer-supplied LED tubes burn out, along with a ballast or two, when mixed types were tried in various combinations. There was no warning on the tubes about mixing, and the customer did the un-boxing before we were called. We ended up installing new ballasts and fluorescent tubes, at his request, and cost.

arnettda

I strongly believe that the bypass, direct-wire type is the only way to go. Why pay to keep the ballasts warm? It's similar to people who replace automotive turn-signal bulbs with LEDs, and then add load resistors to load the existing thermal flasher, instead of installing an LED-compatible one. Why waste the energy you're trying to save?

I recently had a few customer-supplied LED tubes burn out, along with a ballast or two, when mixed types were tried in various combinations. There was no warning on the tubes about mixing, and the customer did the un-boxing before we were called. We ended up installing new ballasts and fluorescent tubes, at his request, and cost.

I agree as well but my one supplier says they sell a lot of them so I am looking for reasons to support that. My other supplier only sells LED lamps that are direct wired.

MAC702

I do bypass lamps to actually get the benefits of LED lighting, not just the appearance of it.

Don't forget that you probably need to change the tombstones to a non-shunted type if the tubes have hot-and-neutral pins on the same side.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I do bypass lamps to actually get the benefits of LED lighting, not just the appearance of it.

Don't forget that you probably need to change the tombstones to a non-shunted type if the tubes have hot-and-neutral pins on the same side.

Pretty easy to find LED self ballasted replacement tubes that work with shunted or non shunted tombstones.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I use the type that is either/or. You can wire them same end or end to end. I prefer them as sometimes I have to wire the sockets different so I don't have to add or replace wires. But I always use the by-pass type tube.

I will only install ballast bypass type lamps. I don't want a warranty call that a light is out b/c the ballast failed. Alot of shady electricians/lighitng companies/escos/utilities will install direct fit lamps to make a quick buck, then they will get the recurring maintenance calls down the road to make more money.

Status
Not open for further replies.