LED tape lighting over a sink

Status
Not open for further replies.

olly

Occupation
Master Electrician
I am installing undercabinet LED tape lighting that will run past the sink. I am installing it in AL channel but neither the channel or the LED tape light are rated for a wet location. Will this fly with an inspector?

I do not see the lighting ever getting wet, so I personally think its fine. The circuit is GFCI protected. It is low volt lighting

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I can imagine some kids being that messy... :devilish:
And? Just because I'll be 66 next month doesn't mean I'm not still a kid.
run1.gif

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
There are some led tapes manufacturers that do have models of tape that are for wet locations.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
You've never seen me wash dishes. 🌊

Otherwise, I agree: not a wet location.
My wife would kill me if I was to use the sprayer and soak the ceiling, by then the entire kitchen would also be soaked.
I'm not aware of any code reference to call over sink to require "wet rated" lighting. That would have greater implications if it is so, most vanity lighting and those that have "makeup" lights that run down both sides of vanity mirror are not "wet rated" and would be in violation. (Ever see those old 18" florescent tube mirror lights? Definitely not wet rated.)
Although another thread here says the AHJ in his area is calling for WR receptacles within 30" of kitchen sink, also don't see a reference that would indicate this. Is OP in the same jurisdiction?

James L

Occupation
Electrician
If the LED strip is in an aluminum channel with a diffuser, it's splash resistant for sure. And that's the most you would need at a sink (just from a practical standpoint, aside from definition).

Status
Not open for further replies.