Status
Not open for further replies.

gar

Occupation
EE

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
IMHO gar has the key on this. When switching you care about inrush current, running current, and any voltage spikes when opening the circuit.

A 'tungsten' rating rolls the inrush current in to the running current by including the known inrush characteristics of a tungsten filament bulb.

Similarly the horsepower rating rolls in the inductive characteristics of a motor load.

For an LED driver the ratio of inrush current to running current will depend upon the specific design of the driver, and ideally is in the driver datasheet. For example at 230V this driver runs at 0.5A but has an inrush of 45A and would seem to be much harder on a switch than a tungsten load. But a different driver might have a much better inrush to running current ratio.

So rather than saying 'LED' load you are going to have to delve into the driver datasheets for the particular LEDs that you are using, or you are going to have to do something external to the LEDs that will reduce inrush current.

-Jon

Besoeker3

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I have aan Amprobe REMCON Solid State device. Similar to a RIB. Had it on the shelf since '96. I think i'll use it.
It has 6.5 Amp Resistive, tungsten, ballast and 1/2 hp rating.

How well is that going to handle a 6 amp LED load?
The LED would require much less energy than tungsten.

Last edited:

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
The LED would require much less energy.
I would expect a 6A LED load to use similar energy to a 6A tungsten load at the same voltage. Perhaps slightly less due to power factor issues.

I would also expect a 6A LED lamp to produce far more light than a 6A tungsten lamp at the same voltage.

Jon

Besoeker3

Occupation
I would expect a 6A LED load to use similar energy to a 6A tungsten load at the same voltage. Perhaps slightly less due to power factor issues.

Jon
But you wouldn't need anything like as much energy.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
But you wouldn't need anything like as much energy.

I absolutely agree that for a given amount of light production, the LED uses far less energy than the Tungsten lamp.

I think that you are discussing outputs and I am discussing inputs.

The OP asked 'how would a solid state relay with the following ratings function with a 6A LED load?' The question is about the input current to the system. If you need to run a 6A LED load (for whatever reason; maybe you are controlling stadium lighting), will this solid state relay unit do the job.

-Jon

Besoeker3

Occupation
I absolutely agree that for a given amount of light production, the LED uses far less energy than the Tungsten lamp.

I think that you are discussing outputs and I am discussing inputs.

The OP asked 'how would a solid state relay with the following ratings function with a 6A LED load?' The question is about the input current to the system. If you need to run a 6A LED load (for whatever reason; maybe you are controlling stadium lighting), will this solid state relay unit do the job.

-Jon
Appreciated, thank you.

tthh

Occupation
Retired Engineer
I've installed a number of the REMCOM devices. Mostly auto closet door opening lights. But, the last one was because someone had to have a 3-way light switch in a pocket door wall for a bathroom. The deepest shallow box that would not hit the pocket door was a wire fill no-go, but doable with the REMCOM and some thermostat or similar wire.

Never had a problem with them. Their on/off time is very responsive. Also, never got close to 6A, so can't say what they are like at 6A. If you are installing it out of the way, the 6A is only good to 104 degrees F, so you might need to derate if installing in the attic, for example.

Unfortunately, it looks like they have been discontinued (sigh).

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Not the most elegant solution, but I have used a Wiremold ring box over a shallow standard box for a room light switch next to a pocket door.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.