LED: wire colors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

azebra

Friend of mine receives light fixture with yellow/green stripe wire,(earth gnd), then a blue and a brown lead? Being in the industrial construction field mostly, I am not familiar with these colors and am hoping for guidance from the experts on here. Thanks and merry Christmas, Paul.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
IEC standard:
wire-color-coding-float2.jpg

kwired

Electron manager
I agree IEC colors - might want to make sure the thing is listed in the US. If so, probably doesn't matter which conductor connects to what other then the EGC.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I used to maintain equipment/machinery from Europe and in all cases the brown was line (hot) and blue was neutral. Now some it didn't matter if they were reversed but for consistency I kept them wired the same.

kwired

Electron manager
I used to maintain equipment/machinery from Europe and in all cases the brown was line (hot) and blue was neutral. Now some it didn't matter if they were reversed but for consistency I kept them wired the same.
Keep in mind in European installation it will be 240 volts line (hot) to neutral. A typical 240 volt two wire circuit in the US will be using two ungrounded lines, unless you used a transformer to derive 240 volts that is grounded at one end instead of at the center of the winding.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Keep in mind in European installation it will be 240 volts line (hot) to neutral. A typical 240 volt two wire circuit in the US will be using two ungrounded lines, unless you used a transformer to derive 240 volts that is grounded at one end instead of at the center of the winding.

No, these machines either were totally 120V line to neutral or a mixture of line-line 208V-240V or line to neutral 120V.

But I am aware of Europe's 240V line to neutral voltage.

kwired

Electron manager
No, these machines either were totally 120V line to neutral or a mixture of line-line 208V-240V or line to neutral 120V.

But I am aware of Europe's 240V line to neutral voltage.
My point was more that if installed in Europe they would connect the blue to neutral, but typical 208-240 volt install here doesn't utilize the neutral conductor and really is no correct polarity, unless the machine for some reason requires one conductor to be grounded - then you about have to have an isolation transformer to derive 240 with a grounded lead.

MAC702

... unless the machine for some reason requires one conductor to be grounded - then you about have to have an isolation transformer to derive 240 with a grounded lead.

Would this have to be an isolation xformer? Couldn't this application also be done with an autotransformer?

MattS87

My guess is that it's coincidental for that instance. But I'm also assuming there's a typo there and don't know what was meant by "proxes."

Sorry maybe a typo but I am referring to an inductive proximity sensor. I use a lot of AB and TURCK that are 4 wire where Brown is +, Blue is -, Black and white are n.c/n.o. This is the case whether AC or DC sensors

raider1

Staff member
I doubt that the luminaire is listed. UL 1598 Standard For Safety For Luminaires, requires that the insulation of the neutral conductor be white or grey or have a white trace or raised longitudinal ridges, if a parallel conductor flexible cord.

My guess is this is a European luminaire with a CE mark only and has never been evaluated to UL 1598.

Chris

Friend of mine receives light fixture with yellow/green stripe wire,(earth gnd), then a blue and a brown lead? Being in the industrial construction field mostly, I am not familiar with these colors and am hoping for guidance from the experts on here. Thanks and merry Christmas, Paul.

so open the light fixture and read the diagram on the controller itself. (ballast looking thing) its will tell you everything you need to know. most now days are universal voltage types typically rated 120-277 which yes includes 240 be it to neut as in the UK or two hots or high leg here in the US.

kwired

Electron manager
I doubt that the luminaire is listed. UL 1598 Standard For Safety For Luminaires, requires that the insulation of the neutral conductor be white or grey or have a white trace or raised longitudinal ridges, if a parallel conductor flexible cord.

My guess is this is a European luminaire with a CE mark only and has never been evaluated to UL 1598.

Chris
Does standard require to mark one conductor white if polarity doesn't matter to operation or for things such as a luminaire with screwshell lamp holder?

Don't mess with the quartz tube fixtures much at all anymore - unless maybe removing one, but seems those typically had both supply leads same color, sometimes both were even white.

raider1

Staff member
Does standard require to mark one conductor white if polarity doesn't matter to operation or for things such as a luminaire with screwshell lamp holder?

Don't mess with the quartz tube fixtures much at all anymore - unless maybe removing one, but seems those typically had both supply leads same color, sometimes both were even white.

UL 1589 requires the screwshell of a lampholder directly supplied by the branch circuit shall be connected to the neutral grounded conductor. Then it goes on to say that a conductor that is intended to be connected to the neutral conductor of the branch circuit needs to be white or grey etc. The standard does not specifically address non polarized connections.

Where UL 1598 specifies that a neutral conductor be white or grey the use of a white wire for an ungrounded conductor would not meet the standard.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.