LEDs in New Construction - Class 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddecart

New construction, planning on using some low-profile LED fixtures, rather than installing traditional cans. Something like this: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/611KrfPQaTL._SL1200_.jpg
(not necessarily that exact fixture, I just grabbed something of the sort for visual reference)

I believe that to install per code, these need:
NM cable @ 120V run to a Class 2 listed power supply. Power supply being an in-wall power supply unit, a surface-mounted unit, or one installed in an accessible box.
Class-2 In-Wall rated wire from power supply to fixture locations
Connections at fixture locations with WAGO connectors, inline splices, or some other permanent connection (no box)

Seems pretty straightforward, but I wanted to make sure I have it right before forging ahead.

Thanks
Dave

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
I'm curious as to your preference to use these vs traditional housing and LED trim.

All of them I've seen have a power supply that installs in the ceiling above the fixture, and have a short 6" or so lead to connect the LED.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddecart

I'm curious as to your preference to use these vs traditional housing and LED trim.

All of them I've seen have a power supply that installs in the ceiling above the fixture, and have a short 6" or so lead to connect the LED.

The traditional housing route is a bit of silliness when you think about it.
Install an expensive housing that's designed around a 100 year old light bulb design (~$20 for a 4" airtight IC housing)
Buy expensive trim for the housing and an LED bulb designed to look like a 100 year old bulb, or buy a retrofit LED lens/housing (~$30)
In for $50 per fixture and there is a ton of unnecessary equipment above the ceiling that's not needed. Plus, they can't be installed directly in line with a truss or rafter.

Or use a purpose-made lamp where a single LED driver can run multiple lights. Picked up a 7-light kit, UL listed, IC rated, for $180. Half the price of the retrofit route, and I can hopefully get a tighter seal at the ceiling as well. Planning on running the romex to an outlet inside a kitchen cabinet. Surface-mount the sizable power supply, then run it's output back into the wall to the fixture locations.

Also picked up a 4-light set with a power supply that'll fit inside a 4" square box. Placing that inside the adjacent closet with a blank cover plate on it.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
New construction, planning on using some low-profile LED fixtures, rather than installing traditional cans...

Also Known As "Disk Lights", surface mount to 4" light box, direct connect to 120v building wiring.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
The traditional housing route is a bit of silliness when you think about it.
Install an expensive housing that's designed around a 100 year old light bulb design (~$20 for a 4" airtight IC housing)
Buy expensive trim for the housing and an LED bulb designed to look like a 100 year old bulb, or buy a retrofit LED lens/housing (~$30)
In for $50 per fixture and there is a ton of unnecessary equipment above the ceiling that's not needed. Plus, they can't be installed directly in line with a truss or rafter.

Or use a purpose-made lamp where a single LED driver can run multiple lights. Picked up a 7-light kit, UL listed, IC rated, for $180. Half the price of the retrofit route, and I can hopefully get a tighter seal at the ceiling as well. Planning on running the romex to an outlet inside a kitchen cabinet. Surface-mount the sizable power supply, then run it's output back into the wall to the fixture locations.

Also picked up a 4-light set with a power supply that'll fit inside a 4" square box. Placing that inside the adjacent closet with a blank cover plate on it.

Man that's super high. I pay $7 for an IC housing and $14 for a Satco LED trim. Plus, the trims just look nicer than the disk light.

Status
Not open for further replies.