LEED documentation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have recently been awarded a project that is a USGBC/LEED project.An attachment to my contract is form that must be attached to each submittal .they are asking for information about the items I will be installing such as % of post consumer content,% of post industrial content,component raw material,site of harvest/extraction,assembly recycled content %,VOC content,etc,etc.The arch. said all the manufacturers are on board with supplying this info but my supplyer does not agree.Has anyone had to furnish this info?

Mr. Bill

I don't think your architect has done many LEED projects. Too quote directly from the credit.

Mechanical, electrical and plumbing components and specialty items such as elevators shall not be included in this calculation.

Mr. Bill

They're elegable for the credit, they just don't understand what they're asking for. MEP is exclude from the total and recycled material cost because of the mountain of paper required to document and count each piece that goes into the building. Most of MEP materials are steel, which has a high recycled content, so why bother to document it. (And what exactly are our options to increase this number in the MEP trades?)

Most projects with structural steel manage to get the first point for this credit by counting this steel. Steel in the US has an average % that is recycled and you can use the data provided by the supplier.
(Cost of building steel) * (manufacturer recycled content percentage) / (total building material cost excluding MEP) = Recycled content

Other ways to boost the number is to look at concrete, drywall, carpet, ceiling tiles, insulation, etc.

It is an option to add MEP items if they want but they can't just add some pipes from MEP trades to increase their numbers. If any plumbing materials are added to the calculation then all plumbing materials have to be added. If any electrical materials are added to the calculation then all electrical materials have to be added.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.