Legal or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Being a distributor, we want to make sure that what we are supplying you is right and up to code. Our concern is with closed end crimp connectors. We have had some light fixtures that are using an aluminum band and some that are using a tinned copper band. Is the aluminum band closed end connector able to be used on a tinned copper wire inside of a light fixture? Or is this not allowed by NEC 110.14? I have not been able to get a answer from UL saying yes or no.

mdshunk

Re: Legal or not?

Those crimp connectors ARE NOT aluminium. They are Tin-Lead plated brass or Tin-Lead plated phosphorous bronze.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems

Is the concern the conductor material or the fact it is inside of the fixture?

I find most general references to violations of 110.14 are a cop-out by the inspector. In this case UL may list the subject connectors as suitable for connecting aluminum to aluminum or copper to copper, but UL probably doesn't care if the connection is inside of a fixture.

The concern is the material. We are having problems with a recessed can light were the connector is loosing up and oxidizing and in a couple of cases arching. The connectors on these fixtures do have any makings on them at all. Our vendor is changing these to a copper connector.

But....

In looking at other types of fixtures that uses these connectors we have found some that have a tinned copper or brass. But there are others that are (what we think are aluminum) that have a UL listed and CE connectors but do not say what type of conductors they are listed for. Asking our vendors to supply information about there product from UL is about impossible.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems

Hard to believe there are any fixtures still being made with aluminum wiring.

If your manufacturer can not supply you with listing information on their product, I suggest you find a more reputable source.

A description of the connector construction is not really suffcient information for an exact answer. You will probably need to mention the part number and manufacturer, in fact with that you can go to the UL website yourself.

[ June 29, 2005, 08:49 AM: Message edited by: jim dungar ]

I am sorry, let me say that again. The concern is the connector material not the conductor.
There is not a file number on the connector but i have traced it to E235797 by the markings on the connector. The one marking not on the connector is what conductor materials it is used for: "CU" "AL" "AL-CU" and so on.

Our suppliers are very reputable but like most companies do not like to give out to much info if needed. Plus I am not sure that UL when looking at a fixture gives a break down of components like other agencies such as the patents office.

Status
Not open for further replies.