Length of straight through pullbox...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Answer from 2008 NEC please,Length for straight through pull-box under 600 volts, with 4" conductor on either side? A) Any LengthB) 48"C) 24"D) 32"I have looked at Articles 312 & 314 in the code & handbook for 2008 but only see information about conduit... 314.28 (A) (1) says: Straight Pulls. In straight pulls, the length of the box shall not be less than eight times the metric designator (trade size) of the largest raceway. I don't think this is the answer however if someone can explain how this is done I would really appreciate it. Please provide the article information with the answer to my original question please. Thank you very much!

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
For a straight pull take the trade size of the conduit and multiply by 8. It's that simple. You've included the code reference in your post.

Thank you very much infinity! The question had the wrong information for the answer sought. It stated conductor rather than conduit or raceway - per the NEC and yes it is times 8 so a 4" raceway for a straight through pull-box would be 32 or 4" x 8 = 32" according to 314.28(A)(1).

maghazadeh

For a straight pull take the trade size of the conduit and multiply by 8. It's that simple. You've included the code reference in your post.

I agree with this, I might just add, besides the example you stated here if there are more than one conduit, then take the trade size of the largest conduit multiply by 8 for straight pull and add the trde size of other conduits.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I was taught a crude way to remember this years ago. "If it dangles it's six, if it's straight it's eight". Crude, but effective...

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I agree with this, I might just add, besides the example you stated here if there are more than one conduit, then take the trade size of the largest conduit multiply by 8 for straight pull and add the trde size of other conduits.

Adding the other conduits only applies to angle pulls not straight pulls.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Box = L x W X H

The length has to be 32" so a box with 32 by W by H.

OK. Sorry for some reason i thought you meant 32 x 32 x 32. :slaphead:

Because i have heard of electricians and sometimes inspectors think that for a single straight pull all sides have to be 8 x the largest conduit.

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
ry%3D400

Status
Not open for further replies.