Letters of introduction

Status
Not open for further replies.

knoppdude

I am at a point in my relatively new business, that I would like to expand my customer base. I have done a few small commercial, and residential jobs, but the customers are tight fisted, and don't seem all that interested in complying with the permitting process, so I am going to leave that market alone. What I have been focused on is sand and gravel quarries, and an occasional asphalt plant. I have been working at a couple of quarries, that have provided the bulk of my work, and I got this through a personal contact with the company. I am looking for new customers in this field, and am planning to send letters of introduction to the plant managers, with a follow up phone call asking if I could meet with them to talk about how and if I could meet their plants electrical needs. Does anyone have any critique to offer concerning this approach. Thanks in advance to all who reply.

CopperTone

I would call first and talk to who hires the sub contractors. I would then follow up with an email to be sure they have your contact info.

Be short but direct on the phone with them. Let them know a couple of the other companies that you do work for and how you could help them in a similar way.
I think regular mail (junk mail) gets lost or thrown in the garbage most often at peoples jobs.

flyboy

Why you?

Why you?

What can you do for them that they are not already getting? What makes you different than your competition? Why you and not them?

What do you know about their present service provider, or do they do it in house? If so, what benefit can they gain by sub-contracting the work to you? How much money can they save? Can they eliminate some risk?

What do you know about their business? How much money per hour do they lose when their equipment is down? Could they lose customers as a result?

What do you know about their equipment? Are you willing to carry parts and material specific to their needs if they use you?

Are you willing to provide 24/7 service? Can you guarantee them a quick responce time?

Will you provide a preventative maintenance plan?

Warranties? Guarantees?

The answer to some of these questions will help you compose a compelling letter. You need to make it a benefit driven message.

What pain or worry can you remove for them?

Get a marketing/advertising professional to write it for you if need be.

Rewire

I think now more than ever you should get professional help with marketing. In a down market everyone is looking to expand into new areas so you are just one of many getting help could give you the edge you need.

knoppdude

Thankyou all for your responses, this is information that I will put into action. Coppertone, I will follow your approach to communication, and use phone and email. I may also see if my current customers will provide a letter of endorsement. Flyboy, you have raised some points about prospective customers that will require research into their opertions. They are all interested in keeping down time to a minimum. Rewire, I will plan on getting the help of a professional with this operation as you and Flyboy have suggested. Thanks again to all of you for the advice. I will let you all know how this goes over the next couple of months, what works, and what needs to be improved upon.

Status
Not open for further replies.