Leviton smart dimmer switches

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, everyone
I have a friend who had some switches installed in his master bedroom the type and model is as follows
Leviton DW1KD-1BZ Decora Smart Wi-Fi 1000W Incandescent/450W LED Dimmer
He also has one slave dimmer as the companion. They are the right combination switches for each other and they worked for about a year.

They stopped working. He called me, I looked at them read the instructions to find out hoe they get programmed etc...
Removed the master switch from the wall and there was the neutral wire from the switch not connected to the neutral in the box. I figured the switch would be blown.
But it worked and reset itself when I spliced the neutral back together. It went through all the proper flashing lights modes etc... but the lights never came up.

The slave switch acts weird. It has the LEDs down the side indicates dimmer and when the rocker is touched it didn't do anything same with the bar on the side but I started repeatedly tapping the switch to go up but the LEDs remain lit but don't move up and down as they should and like the master does. But suddenly, the lights lit up but only about ¼ percent of brightness.

The owner had his phone programmed with the Leviton app and the controls worked before the switches stopped working. The phone app during this time I was checking things, was showing the lights being on full even when they were out completely.

Now with the lights on dim still no control but they did shut down. I removed the master switch and gave it about a minute to shut down completely with no wires hooked up. I reinstalled the switch programed it per instructions and owner uninstall and reinstalled the app and we started from scratch and it didn't help.

I figured with an educated guess that the slave dimmer was bad by the way it wasn't responding and the rocker felt weird when pushed. So we ordered a new slave and he installed it the next day, I let him because hes not an idiot and it is the end run of the 3 wire Romex and the switch is labeled clearly with screw colors that you really have to try to connect it wrong. He called me and said it still doesn't work.

The model number of the slave dimmer is as follows
Leviton DD00R-DLZ 120VAC 60 Hz Decora Digital/Decora Smart Matching Dimmer Remote

I am about to call Leviton tech support because I hate control switches when they start acting weird and I found that instead of wasting time using my 30 yrs experience as an electrician I'll use my brain and make the call and find out what's up. But before I did that, I wanted to see if any of my brothers here in the forums have any info that will help me out.

Thanks in advance for any help and for your time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm leaning toward replacing the master; I usually replace such setups as a pair.

Thanks, Larry
That's my next move. I figured since the slave was acting weird it would be the culprit. But since I found the neutral wire had not been spliced properly with a wirenut by the original installer and was laying free in the box that even though the master acts correctly in the way the built in LEDs on the switch operated okay and the switch ran through the factory reset properly and all indications of still being functional, that there still might be a slight chance of it having some fried chip somewhere inside on the board.
It is the next logical step, to replace the master.
Thanks for your help.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Are you sure that the white wire in the switch box is in deed a neutral? Or could it be and un-identified traveler.

Status
Not open for further replies.