Levittown arc fault receptacles

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaykilty

Good evening, does anyone know if Leviton arc fault receptacles will work on a MWBC ? Have
Just completed a job adding a couple new receptacles and found out it is multi wire circuit
Thanks

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I would think it is similar to GFCI if the line side is MWBC it will work.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Just my opinion but I don't believe it will function properly unless they've manufactured a 2-pole arc fault breaker and you're connecting both branch circuits. My reasoning is this, if you stop and think about it the common neutral is not landed on the ground bar in the breaker panel. The pigtail of the AF breaker is connected to the bar and the common neutral is connected to the AF breaker. That means only one of the branch circuit phase conductors would be connected to the AF breaker. What do you do with the other ? Connect it to another AF breaker ? You can't common up the neutrals. Only one set of wires (hot & neutral) can be monitored through an AF breaker unless, as I mentioned, they've made a 2-pole AF breaker.

kwired

Electron manager
Just my opinion but I don't believe it will function properly unless they've manufactured a 2-pole arc fault breaker and you're connecting both branch circuits. My reasoning is this, if you stop and think about it the common neutral is not landed on the ground bar in the breaker panel. The pigtail of the AF breaker is connected to the bar and the common neutral is connected to the AF breaker. That means only one of the branch circuit phase conductors would be connected to the AF breaker. What do you do with the other ? Connect it to another AF breaker ? You can't common up the neutrals. Only one set of wires (hot & neutral) can be monitored through an AF breaker unless, as I mentioned, they've made a 2-pole AF breaker.
OP is talking about a AFCI receptacle not a circuit breaker.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Good evening, does anyone know if Leviton arc fault receptacles will work on a MWBC ? Have
Just completed a job adding a couple new receptacles and found out it is multi wire circuit
Thanks
Just do not try to use the feed through capability of the receptacle if any of the downstream receptacles or other outlets use the other side of the MWBC. That would cause stray currents in your feed through side neutral from the Leviton.

Status
Not open for further replies.