LFMC into a RGS coupling under 2”?

Isaiah

Occupation
Electrical Inspector
Our inspector is telling us you can’t connect LFMC directly into a rigid galvanized steel coupling unless it’s 2” or larger. Has anyone heard of this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
He's probably referring the the straight threads on the connector. Do they actually make fitting for this I don't think so.

Isaiah

Occupation
Electrical Inspector
That is no such rule. Some fittings are not made or hard to get in over 2" so maybe that's how he came up with that, but a LFMC to RMC appears to be available in all sizes. For example Appleton ST-300F is a 3"

I believe you’re right on this thanks

We always used couplings and never had an inspector call us on this I think this is a ridiculous rule
Yeah I have never been called on this type of thing, but it's always looming there in the background. I wish the industry would fix this. All the NFPA has to do is put an exception in to not require following the instructions/listing for screwing fittings into hubs and couplings, but of course they won't, no time, busy making up dumb code rules.

Isaiah

Occupation
Electrical Inspector
We always used couplings and never had an inspector call us on this I think this is a ridiculous rule

I agree also. But I didn’t want to say anything directly to the inspector until I checked with the gurus on the forum