LFMC run through MV cabinet

Status
Not open for further replies.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
This is really all I have so please don't bombard me with questions. I have not seen the install.
Apparently there is a run of LFMC going through an MV cabinet and the customer is questioning if this install is legal code wise and, or safe
I have no idea if there is a voltage rating on the LFMC.
I have a picture but it keeps telling me the file is to large.

The question from the customer:
As I mentioned, there is a Liquid Tight Flex Conduit penetration into the transformer cabinet that the Owner has keyed in on as a potential issue. It seems that their expectation is that there shouldn’t be anything routed thru the side of the cabinet that contains the high voltage bushings, and don’t think that the conduit is properly rated to do so. We are just looking to confirm that this is in fact the planned upon install method, and that it is code compliant (properly rated, etc.). The outline drawings do appear to show the conduit entering the cabinet:

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
For 600 v and under systems, seperation can be maintained by using a raceway, ie, EMT, in running thru an enclosure that has 480v wiring, and class 2 wiring in the EMT.

paulengr

If you can SECURE wiring and maintain proper spacing it is often necessary to do this. The PVC means nothing...it’s effective just a grounded conduit providing separation between a high and low voltage section.

It is not uncommon for instance to see XHHW, SIS, or THHN run to CT or PT terminals even unprotected, even factory runs, but it is critical to secure the wiring so that the clearances are at least the same as grounded services. For example a common clearance for 5 kv wiring is 4.5”. UL here is garbage. It has a medium voltage standard but it is so vague it’s meaningless. It effectively defers to the manufacturers that in turn follow ANSI/IEEE, NOT UL which is utterly inadequate. MV rules are mostly driven by the ANSI/IEEE “C” series.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Here is a picture:

Attachments

• Transformer Cabinet Penetration4.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
Status
Not open for further replies.