License bd.State of Al.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TobyD

All electrical contractors are required to be state certified.However not all counties have a mandated inspection dept .There are several people working without the required license.In one area Limestone Co. there is quite a lot of work being done. I wonder if any of you are experiencing similar issues.What can be done?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
All electrical contractors are required to be state certified.However not all counties have a mandated inspection dept .There are several people working without the required license.In one area Limestone Co. there is quite a lot of work being done. I wonder if any of you are experiencing similar issues.What can be done?

I don't know what a certified contractor is. Maybe you mean licensed. If it is a state license there is probably a state agency that enforces whatever requirements there are.

If you feel the need to do something, get the names of the unlicensed guys and rat them out.

TobyD

Licensed is correct...I know these men and I don't want to rat them out...I 'd like to know how the builder is paying them and getting away with an insurance audit.All the contractors I work for require all up to date municipal and state cards along with my occupational license.I do know the president of an adjoining county builders association.I'll put a bug in his ear.Theres a lot of non resident workers in our area too. I am faced with the E-verify paper work quite often.

Paul1955

I don't know what a certified contractor is. Maybe you mean licensed. If it is a state license there is probably a state agency that enforces whatever requirements there are.

If you feel the need to do something, get the names of the unlicensed guys and rat them out.

I'm just south of the OP, in Morgan County, and it happens here too in unincorporated areas....
Here is a link to a complaint form at the Alabama Electrical Contractor's Board:
http://www.aecb.state.al.us/PDF/Forms/Misc/consumercomplaint.PDF

Paul

iwire

Staff member

Here in my area licensing, permitting and inspections have been all been required for decades. Yet still a lot of people cheat it and its none of my business.

kwired

Electron manager
What does State laws require?

Are they working on jobs that require permits and inspections?

Here not all work requires permits or inspections - those are the places you see more of that kind of activity. State law still says something to the effect that a person has to be properly licensed if performing wiring installations for another person, which could possibly come back and get them in civil lawsuit should something go wrong, otherwise the AHJ never really knows what was done or who did it on those jobs where a permit isn't required because he is not going to those sites in the first place.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
What does State laws require?

Are they working on jobs that require permits and inspections?

Here not all work requires permits or inspections - those are the places you see more of that kind of activity. State law still says something to the effect that a person has to be properly licensed if performing wiring installations for another person, which could possibly come back and get them in civil lawsuit should something go wrong, otherwise the AHJ never really knows what was done or who did it on those jobs where a permit isn't required because he is not going to those sites in the first place.
I don't see how their liability is changed much by having or not having a license. They are still responsible for the work.

Unless they are stupid enough to also be uninsured, and their insurance company does not care....

kwired

Electron manager
I don't see how their liability is changed much by having or not having a license. They are still responsible for the work.

Unless they are stupid enough to also be uninsured, and their insurance company does not care....
You underestimate your fellow humans:happyyes:

There are many that take what they can get while the fruit is ripe and disappear when predators come along.

I'm in Alabama too and From what I can figure out some of them use a loop hole by getting a Provisional licenses in a county that doesn't require certification or testing , then use that to get a provisional state license but I am not sure how all that works. I just try to tell everyone I don't care if you use me or Not but please go the Alabama electrical contractors board's website to verify Credentials and that Any Electrician worth the money will have his state credentials.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Whenever we've worked in an AL county that didn't have an inspection Dept, we had to use a state inspector. I've also worked in places in AL where the inspector served multiple roles in the city, like traffic cop. Guy pulled up in his squad car, did the inspection and proceeded to go across the street and start running radar. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.