license ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the first license an electrician must obtain called? Is it a general electrical license? I have heard several things. How does all that work? Thanx

bphgravity

Re: license ?

The first license would be a driver's license. If you can't get to and from work or drive a company vehicle, you are useless.

This varies so greatly from area to area. Some jurisdictions have mandatory apprenticeship licensing. Others don't require any licensing at all. Contact your state or local licensing board.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

To find them online, try a search engine like Google.

For example, I type in 'Colorado Electrical Board Official' to find the Colorado EB. 'Official is a good word to throw in, these kinds of sites always say 'Official Website of the yada yada..." so that generally snares them pretty quick.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

The one in my wallet, issued by the state of Washington, says,
Certified as provided by law as elec trainee.
It goes on to say that for certain types of electrical work I must be supervised at least 75% of the time, and that for all other types of electrical work I must be supervised 100% of the time.

It sits in my wallet right next to my other two WA licenses: Electrical Administrator and Professional Engineer. ;)

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer

In the Commonwealth of Virginia, Journeyman is the first license. A Journeyman can work independently on a job, but cannot pull permits. A designated licensed Master electrician to an Electrical Contractor is required for permits.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.