Licensed in P.a ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkg

I started a business in Pa about a year and a half ago(Electrical contractor)I'm certified through a school but there is no state licensing program in Pa. In my area about half the contractors in the local phone book claim to be licensed in there ads. Many of the contractors I've been biding against tell there customers there are licensed by the state. Any opinons on this practice?

flhtclark

Re: Licensed in P.a ??

Pa. does not have a state license, although I hear that they are looking into creating one. If you have a license in a larger city, alot of the smaller townships and boroughs will accept that license with your application. Last year I took a licensing test for Master Electrician for a city in N.E. Pa. They did require proof (w-2's) to show that I did infact work as an apprentice for some time (I think it was five years). The test was based solely on the N.E.C.

Since getting that license, I applied to a smaller borough and they only needed to see my city license (and $100.00). So far so good!

When I lived in Pittsburgh in the 80's, I took a test and was granted a "Registered Electrical Contractor" license. That premitted me to pull permits in the city of Pittburgh. It was my undersanding that Philadelphia was the only other city to require this in the Keystone state. Since that time, I relocated to the Great Lakes state, where they had locally issued journeyman, master and contractor lincenses. Have been registered in PA, they permitted me to take their exams and granted me my master's and contractor's lincences. Since that time, I have moved back to PA but still keep my Michigan licences active. I therefore advertise as a "Licensed Master Electrician" here in PA. I would think that if I so desired, I could go to Pittsburgh and request to be tested there again to restore my city registration, but I do not do any work in the city and therefore do not see the need at this time. I have never been reuired to provide any type of credentials in order to pull any permits in any cities or municipalities other than the Steel City.

rpmlube

richwaskowitz,
I lived in the Pittsburgh area until 1985 and had a Pittsburgh city license. Back then a lot of the local townships used a company called the Middle dept for inspections. Just about anybody could pull a permit in some areas. It is good to hear that Pa. is getting a state license program going.

mach1

I live in the Pocono area and the don't require a electrical license here, but I hold a master electrical license for the city of Bethlehem. With this you just need to show proof (card) and pay your fees. to work in say Easton, Allentown. It was a 4 hr exam just bring your nec book. I would call one of the larger cities you live near to see if the give a exam. I htink Scranton, Erie, Wilkes-barre also require Licensing.

Status
Not open for further replies.