Licensing

Status
Not open for further replies.

__dan

Yes, two reasons.

If you move to an area where the license is mandatory, the licensing authority may not recognize your time in the trade towards the apprenticeship hours requirement. That would be typical for Ct. if you tried to get the journeyman's here, they would want to see your "bona fide" apprenticeship time. You would have to be a "registered apprentice" or licensed jman where you are now to come here and sit for the test. If you try as a unregistered apprentice or unlicensed person, they may make you repeat the apprenticeship hours requirement (typically!).

The other reason is the license should increase your labor rate and make it easier to get hired. Not by a lot but by something. If the pay rate increase is not enough, you may be back into item #1, moving to an area that pays more, has more job demand (and requires the license).

DavJ09

I am waiting for paperwork to get to me to take a Low Voltage Electrician test which will benefit me in securing (and applying) for such work/jobs.

Any suggestions on what I can focus on? I'm using my USN experience as my accredited hours and training.

Sent from my RM-845_nam_vzw_100 using Tapatalk

kwired

Electron manager
I am waiting for paperwork to get to me to take a Low Voltage Electrician test which will benefit me in securing (and applying) for such work/jobs.

Any suggestions on what I can focus on? I'm using my USN experience as my accredited hours and training.

Sent from my RM-845_nam_vzw_100 using Tapatalk

Please clarify what you mean by low voltage. To some that is less than 50 volts, to others that is less 1000 volts.

Some don't call it high voltage until it gets into the 70-100kV ranges.

DavJ09

Oregon LEB: "Limited energy electrical activity" means installation, alteration, maintenance, replacement or repair of electrical wiring and electrical products that do not exceed 100 volt-amperes in Class 2 and Class 3 installations, or that do not exceed 300 volt-amperes for landscape low voltage lighting systems that are cord connected to a ground fault circuit interrupter receptacle, under the electrical specialty code and the One and Two Family Dwelling Code."

(http://licenseinfo.oregon.gov/?fuseaction=license_seng&link_item_id=1687)

-- J. Davis. Sent using Tapatalk for Windows Phones

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
In Washington you can get up to 1/2 your specialty hours for related military experience. Our "low voltage" is called limited energy and requires 4,000 hours experience.

DavJ09

In Washington you can get up to 1/2 your specialty hours for related military experience. Our "low voltage" is called limited energy and requires 4,000 hours experience.

I used my 4 years experience as my 4 OJT and my Schooling for the transcript part. I plan to get licenses in WA as well... Maybe even Idaho and California. :)

-- J. Davis (tapatalk!)

Status
Not open for further replies.