LICENSING:

Status
Not open for further replies.

aphares

About Time !!!!
I think this will help a lot of the electrical industry in Indiana to grow in the right ways, What is most of your opinions, and if your state has a state licensing how does thing seem to work? Better / worse?

Indiana state bill 1498

jtb

Re: LICENSING:

I have been around a little while. My experience is that licensed or not, it comes down to the person doing the work. In PA, the main way to get licensed is to join the Local as an apprentice, or spend $$ you don't have to take courses. I have tried a few times to join, even took and passed the entry tests, but was never accepted. So I am not yet licensed in PA, although I will soon be required to be. In Ohio it is required, but I have seen some scary wiring work by some. I guess my feelings are mixed. As with everything nowadays, it seems the intentions are good, but the application is corrupt, and everything costs more money. I would LOVE to get licensed, I think I would pass the tests, but the fees and time required to prepare keep me from applying. Maybe someday....

Len_B

Originally posted by jtb:
I have been around a little while. My experience is that licensed or not, it comes down to the person doing the work.
DITTO.

I'm glad to see that Indiana limited the "grandfather clause" to one year and are allowing work experience to serve as apprentice program requirement.
Just curious, but what was Indiana's motivation for instituting licensing? Just keeping up with other states? Are fire or electrocution rates statistically higher in Indiana than in states that have licensing requirements in place?
I lived in New Jersey for many years where contractors had to be licensed AND all jobs had to be inspected. It always struck me as funny that the government controlled the granting of electrical credentials(license) BUT still had to inspect every aspect of the work performed by the contractors they certified. Hmmm...Go figure...

Len

hurk27

This will be a very good start as here in Indiana we have some dictators that think they have a right to write code to there liking. and also let who they want to do work in there jurisdiction. and since there is no commoned electrical test. they will make up there own and some of these are design to control, who works and who dont. more than who's qulifide. which is not a fair way to run a goverment.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO

It is all about money. By licensing you can charge, this equals money for the state. And money for their friends who teach the required courses.

I think it will be better, however it will take a few years.

Mike P.

luke warmwater

Is this Bill just introduced or has it become Law, awaiting an effectice date? I think that it is a good step, as I support statewide licensing By Examination. One thing I didn't see, is a requirement for continuing education for license renewal, did I read over it, or isn't there any requirement? I am not sold on the Electricians Recovery Fund. I don't like the surcharge.
Delaware has Statewide licensing by examination. It is a definate revenue resource for the state. Delaware, "The Home Of Tax-Free Shopping". Believe me, they make it up, alot of it through licensing. One drawback(and it seems as is Indiana's) is the way that it treats un-licensed person's. Sure there are laws against it, but the Electrical Board can do nothing other than turn a Formal written complaint by a license holder over to the Under-staffed Attorney General's Office whose lead time for an investigation is approximately 6 to 8 months. By then the person is long gone. And a Class A misdemeanor is a slap on the wrist fine that alot of people are willing to risk. Meanwhile, a licensed professional can be sanctioned or even have his license suspended or revoked, or be sued easier, etc.etc.
I like Cecil County, Maryland's approach. It's in there law, if you're caught doing work(or even representing yourself as a professional) without a license, The Electrical Board directly can(and will) have you arrested and fined.
JTB, no offense, 'cause I'm originally from PA, but they are in the dark ages. There are some places that are not(Philly. Pitts.), but at the state level there must be some good lobbyests that keep protesting a statewide electrical license. The new Adoption of the Uniform Building Code was a step into the middle ages, but they don't even have the local level knowledge or manpower to enforce it. My brother is a foreman for a large contractor in central PA. Most places after a service inspection ,there is nothing else required. I will agree with you that licensed or not, it comes down to the person doing the work. But when there is no enforcement, there is more room for trouble.

aphares

From what I understand And I could be just a little off. But IC 25-1-6-3. should cover CEU's, which will be required to have 20 CEU every two years to renew the Licensing. The bill is only purposed at this time and is waiting to be adopted. Also from what I understand.
IC 25-14.6-6. Covers the institution that is being excepted for the licensing testing facility. Which is "Experior" And If Experior is to absorb Blocks then they also will be excepted.

mvannevel

I was a contractor for many years in Indiana before becoming an Electrical Inspector there. State licensing will be a welcome relief to inspectors and electricians there. Each municipality has had it's own license and permit regulations, which was always tough on the contractors. In my jurisdiction, we were limited by ordinance to giving our test twice a year. If a contractor from another area wanted to work in our city, he sometimes wouldn't be able to because of the restriction on giving tests. Plus, with each city or governmental subdivision having it's own license, contractors frequently had to hold as many as 4-6 licenses just to work in a two or three county area. I haven't read the bill yet, but it will also help out the inspectors. Indiana has had state licensed plumbers for years, and when plumbing inspectors have repeated problems with contractors, they can send them "down state" for action against their license. State licenseing works great here in Michigan as I'm sure it will in Indiana. I only wish they'd have gotten around to it while I was still inspecting down there.

aphares

:confused: I sent a private mess. To someone in here. I have no ideal if they got it, And no more of an ideal on how to retrieve mine. Anyone else know??????

dereckbc

Staff member

Originally posted by aphares:
:confused: I sent a private mess. To someone in here. I have no ideal if they got it, And no more of an ideal on how to retrieve mine. Anyone else know??????
I do not know how to verify a sent message. To see if you have any click on your profile and scroll down

Status
Not open for further replies.