Life Of Electronic Ballasts

Status
Not open for further replies.

delectric123

I do a lot of fluorescent lighting maintenance, which often involves changing ballasts. it seems like in places like schools, where they remain on throughout the day, the ballasts last about 8 years.

aren't there any out there that would last longer. it seems if they would be designed properly, they should last indefinitely. or is it part of a money-making deal:huh: for manufacturers? I've seen a few ballasts that were bad even before using. is my lighting supplier ripping me off or is this normal. of course if there would be frequent on-off cycles I wouldn't be questioning it.

another place I do maintenance at, a dairy barn with 277VAC for lighting, with the lights being on continuously for about 18 hrs. a day, the ballasts are going bad after one year:eek: i'm afraid to check if there are power surges occurring.

fmtjfw

If you get a new ballast that is bad, just take it back. In addition some ballast have a multi-year warranty. For a large customer, like a school system it may make sense to mark the installation dates on them and track them. If the POCO drops a 23kV line onto the 12.7kV primary to the transformers serving your building, send the POCO the bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.