Life Safety (article 700 systems)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshields

I have a high rise hotel with very few Standby panels but lots of life safety panels. I need to bring a single 120V circuit to an elevator machine room for a card access system; You'll need your room card to get off on the floor you're staying in.

My position is that we have to get that 120V power from a standby panel, not the much closer LS panel.

Per 700.15, I think I'm correct. Comments? Do you agree?

thanks,

Mike

raider1

Staff member
Most elevator equipment is classified as legally required standby not emergency equipment and as such can't be installed on an emergency system.

I would still check with the local AHJ to see what their take on this is.

Chris

dbuckley

mshields said:
You'll need your room card to get off on the floor you're staying in.

I think (and it's just an opinion) that puts the card access system into the 'legally required' category, as the elevator is pretty much unavailable to you without card access working.

bwyllie

I would think you're right. In an emergency(fire alarm and loss of power) the elevator is going to be recalled to a floor and remain there unitl the fire dept takes control of the car so the guest will not be using the elevator.

Is this elevator going to be programmed to be used under loss of normal power in a non-emergency situation, then yes it goes on the stand-by power/

Status
Not open for further replies.