Lifting light poles

Status
Not open for further replies.

bth0mas20

I will be removing old and installing new:

2 30ft light poles about 500lbs each
and 15 25ft light poles.

What would be the best, safest, most efficient piece of equipment to rent?

I just got a price for a 60ft manlift at 1600 a week delivered.
I think the 30ft poles will weigh too much for a man lift.

What do you think I should be using?

Also what is the best method for rigging?

iwire

Staff member
Sub the lifting out to another contractor with a material handling bucket truck.

We sometimes rent a material handling bucket truck but for that little bit of work it often ends up cheaper subbing it out.

Once you figure rental costs, travel time etc.

We can usually get a an operator and truck for less per hour then renting just the truck.

BTW, they are called man lifts for a reason, don't use one to set poles.

crossman

I'm with bob. Have everything ready beforehand, then have them come set the poles. An experienced operator will make quick work of the job, and be done and on his way in short time.

SiddMartin

I also agree with Bob, the safety precautions that are involved for a job like that, you don't want to take lightly. Let someone who has the right equip. and uses it everyday to take on the liability. Will save you a lot of aggrevation.

Hey...we all agree- that sets a record on this site.

Hire a truck/operator. Setup for the day and be prepared for the operator when he shows. You will be tremendously happy at the end. Those are some very heavy poles.

Besides, nobody will have to show that they are afraid of heights. ;)

27hillcrest

I agree with Bob. There is a trick to lifting the poles and getting the strap off after the pole is set. The bucket trucks I have worked are not rated to lift poles while someone is in the bucket.

POWER_PIG

Big Time Agree,,,,,,,,
We use a sub that does a great job. We make sure the poles are dressed out before he arrives and help with the rigging and so forth. it always (so far) goes very smooth.......I have no Idea what he charges, but it must work out ok cuz we have used the same dude for like 10 years and the jobs most always come out in the money.

bth0mas20

well I would be stupid to not hire someone after the responses Ive had one this thread. So Ill be on the phone tomorrow getting prices. Thank you all for your help.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I agree too, OSHA would love it if something happened while using the boom lift, they would see dollar signs. We sub all of ours out too, the guy we use can set a fairly large parking lot in a couple of hours, usually takes him longer to drive to the job site, than what it takes to set a couple of poles.

220/221

1600 a week ?????

Get things prepared and hire a CRANE.

DSC01467.jpg

This was about 16 poles, set in 2 hours.

You should be able to accomplish your R and R in a half day if you are prepared. $100 an hour is typical here.

Pre soak the old bolts with liquid wrench and break them loose ahead of time.

Have a trailer ready to put the old poles onto.

Rigging.

If the fixtures are thru bolted on to the poles you can use the fixture arm to lift. Tie a piece of mule tape or rope on to the strap loop for a "tag line" to pull the slip knot free and down the pole when done.

If the fixture heads are slip fitted on to the poles, use a large C clamp, slipped into the hand hole. One end of your crane strap will go around the pole (slip one end thru the loop in the other end). The other will attach to the C clamp. This way you are lifting from the hand hole. The slip knotted end of the strap will provide a high lifting point and balance. Use the tag line here too in case the strap gets too tight to pull down.

Status
Not open for further replies.