light blue neutral

Status
Not open for further replies.

lenney

lenneyott@aol.com
Occupation
electrician
a inspector showed me in a code bookyrs ago where it said something to the affect of 20 amp or less applance [dw] possible could use a light blue neutral i know this sounds crazy has anyone ever heard anything like this please email mail me if anyone has a ref #

email addres removed by moderator...please use the PM function for private contact...thanks

[ July 23, 2005, 10:25 PM: Message edited by: don_resqcapt19 ]

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Re: light blue neutral

Some cords use a brown for the ungrounded conductor and a blue for the grounded conductor. This is not covered by the NEC. The NEC covers the building wiring system and there is no provision in Article 200 that would permit the use of a blue grounded conductor.
Don

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer

400.22 Grounded-Conductor Identification

(C) Colored Insulation A white or gray insulation on one conductor and insulation of a readily distinguishable color or colors on the other conductor or conductors for cords having no braids on the individual conductors.

For jacketed cords furnished with appliances, one conductor having its insulation colored light blue, with the other conductors having their insulation of a readily distinguishable color other than white or gray.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Logic would tell me that brown should be neutral (ground - get it?) and blue should be hot (sky - not ground). But then, whoever said this stuff was logical?

Status
Not open for further replies.