Light bulbs blowing

Status
Not open for further replies.

vilasman

any body else out there having a problem with customers complaining about light bulbs blowing out in a few days sometimes with in hours? We have about 5 or 6 customers with that complaint. Some are recessed lights some are surface mounts?
Any thoughts?

hurk27

Re: Light bulbs blowing

Buy better bulb's And I'm not kidding
One of the most aggravating call back's that I get is this. Look at the bulb if it only has the filament suspended between the two wires it most likely wont last long. look for filaments with 3 or more supports and try using 130 volt bulbs as they tend to stand up to spikes better. also bulbs in locations that can't get rid of the heat or run to hot will tend to blow more often. bulbs in locations that receive sharp bumps or are vibrated allot will blow. I.E. garage door openers, paddle fans outside lites that are next to doors that get slammed shut ect... I have notice too that many fixtures that don't have any ventilation opening's will cause the bulb's to run allot hotter bulb's in these fixture's then to blow more often than a good fixture that has a little space for air to get in. and those dang candelabra bulbs they never last the higher the wattage the shorter the life.

caosesvida

I have been hearing this complaint for 25 years, the amount of movement on the element is incredible when first turned on. Also the tungsten sublimates while its on. Its a loose,loose, situation. Tell them to switch to flouresent edison base. I have some still in service for almost 20 years. Plus you save a bundle on energy costs.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

My own personal experence with lamps for my personal use: I have had much better luck with Sylvania than GE (I hope GE doesn't sue me for that). Especially for the candelabra types. I put in a bathroom 2 years ago with 4 Sylvania 40W candelabra bulbs (mounted base up) and I finally had to change one because it quit making good contact at the base.

With candelabra types, I have had a lot of problems with the glass separating from the base when I try to take them out. This was with both GE and Sylvania. Lower wattage seems to have less of a problem.

I also think that 130V Sylvania bulbs seem to be last a very long time and they aren't much more expensive. (I use a 75W 130V lamp in fixtures marked for 60W max. I know, shame on me, but they only put out 64 Watts at 120 V.)

Also, since I moved out of an apartment, lamps seem to last a lot longer. No more neighbors on the floor above stomping on top of my fixtures.

Steve

hillbilly

You may want to check for a loose or corroded neutral. Also check incoming voltage from the POCO. I've seen both cause this problem.
steve

james_mcquade

we had the same problem years ago. we ended up buying 130 volt light bulbs and solved the problem 95% effective.

also, there use to be an inductive device that you could put between the bulbs and the socket to increase the start up time of the bulb. it would take 5-10 seconds for the bulb to fully emit light.

Status
Not open for further replies.