light bulbs shattering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Several light bulbs have shattered. Always when I am not present. The light bulb is screwed into a residential porch coach light. Not exposed to rain (there is an overhang). One of the two coach lights has shattered repeatedly. The other coach light on the same circuit, and the same switch has never shattered the bulb. The wall does shake when the front door is closed, which is near the coach light. The last time the bulb shattered, the customer said the light was not even turned on. I am running out of ideas on how to fix it. I checked the wiring that is exposed, which seems to be ok. The breaker is not tripping. Normal voltage. The bulb on the other coach light is not shattering. None of the lights on the same circuit are having problems. Its on an arc fault breaker. I am planning on doing a process of elimination test. I replaced the bulb and checked the wiring. Next I am planning on installing a temporary light which would replace the problem coach light. ???? The only other thing I can think of is the replacing the wiring in the near impossible area, or stabilize the wall so it doesn't shake.

I could also try a ceiling fan rated bulb. Those bulbs probably don't look like the edison bulb they currently have in the fixture. So they will probably not be happy with that idea.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
When you say shattered do you mean it actually broke into pieces?

The only time I have had that happen is when the neck of the bulb was short and the socket would score the round section of the bulb which weakens it.

Only other thing is a bad batch of bulbs

I doubt its the neighborhood kids. Only cows live out where the house is located other than the homeowner. The bulbs that shattered were LED. I am running out of guesses. All that I can imagen is replacing the switch leg, and the lights, and the bulbs. I believe they might not like how the plastic bulbs look. Their house is pretty expensive, and they had edison bulbs originally. I haven't seen the bulbs shatter in person. Like I was saying "always when I am not present". I have no idea what it could be, but I am doubting Smokey the Bear. That is the only thing I know.

synchro

Occupation
EE

The only time I have had that happen is when the neck of the bulb was short and the socket would score the round section of the bulb which weakens it.

I remember having a ceramic lamp socket where the bulb would contact the sides of the socket right at the bottom of the neck of the bulb (i.e., just above the metal shell). I was able to bend up the contact at the bottom of the socket to prevent this from happening, but the socket really didn't have the appropriate clearance. If such a clearance issue exists in the lamp socket of the coach light with the problem, that might put some mechanical stress on the bulb that could cause it to eventually shatter. And especially if there are additional shock forces from the door on the wall that supports the light fixture.

Another thing is that in light fixtures that can accommodate E27 bulbs the socket would have to be deeper than just for E26 bulbs. That might make it more likely for North American E26 bulbs that have a slightly shorter base to contact the inside edge of the socket in the manner above.
All this is speculation, but you might take a closer look when you screw in a bulb to see if there is sufficient clearance from the bulb to the inner edge of the socket.

https://www.waveformlighting.com/home-residential/e26-vs-e27-bulbs-are-they-interchangeable

Amps

Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Electrical, Security, Networks and Everything Else.
Could be a bad ass bug or bat that gets pissed off when the light is on and dive bombs it!

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
Electrician commercial and residential

Only other thing is a bad batch of bulbs
I’ve seen a bulb shatter by slight touch due to utility pushing slightly high voltage over time and seen bad Loose utility neutral Causing light flutter

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I second the LED lamps.

Not sure why anyone would even try incandescent for outside lights. Even if they don't shatter they won't last long.

Rick 0920

Occupation
Electrical Instructor
You might try replacing the socket in the fixture. I don't know, but if it is defective and not making a good connection, it could possibly do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.