Light Bulbs -- truth in advertising?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drcampbell

Occupation
Registered Professional Engineer
Now that incandescant lightbulbs are just about completely obsolete, can anybody recommend a line of lightbulbs that does NOT put the incandescent-equivalent-wattage on the package?
I'm growing weary of telling people that the lumen, not the watt, is a measure of light output, but the marketing people aren't making my life any easier.

Besoeker3

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Now that incandescant lightbulbs are just about completely obsolete, can anybody recommend a line of lightbulbs that does NOT put the incandescent-equivalent-wattage on the package?
I'm growing weary of telling people that the lumen, not the watt, is a measure of light output, but the marketing people aren't making my life any easier.
9.1W

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
It’s ingrained in the public, when you wanted more light from an incandescent fixture, you naturally upped the wattage. The average person that is not in the industry, looks at it that way. They don’t know what a lumen is, but they know how bright their 60 watt light bulb is.
The amusing thing is that even when incandescents were the only game in town, a 100 watt light bulb could be anywhere from 850 to 1100 lumens with similar variation in hours. I finally started calculating and buying on the lowest cost per lumen-hour.

Besoeker3

Occupation
It’s ingrained in the public, when you wanted more light from an incandescent fixture, you naturally upped the wattage. The average person that is not in the industry, looks at it that way. They don’t know what a lumen is, but they know how bright their 60 watt light bulb is.
My bulb is 9.1W. I have several that are 15W. That is a very bright bulb. My Mrs has several in our lounge - she likes them for her art.

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
I agree its frustrating. Especially since they are all different in lumen output its almost worthless. My new favorite is below although it does post the 250w equivalent. They have a great color temp and dim well. Not an incandescent type dim, but instead of the full 2100 lumens you can cut it down so very flexible. Great for 10 foot ceilings. I use them in my house.

1621881973138.png

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
It would seem that the wattage equivalent would make it easier, unless you're saying that wattage-equivalent is not equivalent.

gadfly56

Occupation
It would seem that the wattage equivalent would make it easier, unless you're saying that wattage-equivalent is not equivalent.
As I said at post #5, I would find "100-watt" bulbs that were anywhere from 850 to 1,100 lumens so yeah, wattage equivalent isn't necessarily equivalent.

Besoeker3

Occupation
I don't see why the wattage equivalent be any easier. Why not just the actual? That's what I use. But then I can see old pharts (and some not so old) want some kind of "equivalence|" to to old style...........
Bit like their old Imperial weights and measures....................:(

gadfly56

Occupation
I don't see why the wattage equivalent be any easier. Why not just the actual? That's what I use. But then I can see old pharts (and some not so old) want some kind of "equivalence|" to to old style...........
Bit like their old Imperial weights and measures....................:(
Oy now!! We resemble that remark!

Status
Not open for further replies.