light near the tub

Status
Not open for further replies.

drwill

I belive the 2002 code states that no part of a light wether cord connected, hanginng fixtures, lighting track, pendants, or ceiling suspended paddle fans cannot be within a zone measured 3 ft horizontally and 8 ft vertically from the bathtub rim. my question is does the word hanging include the wall sconce lights above the sinks, do they need to be 3 ft from the tub rim

thanks drwill

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Re: light near the tub

410.4(D) allows securely mounted wall luminaires in the bathtub and shower zone. If they are subject to shower spray than they must be listed for a wet location.

drwill

mr infinity i believe you are refrencing the 2005 code and im currently under the 2002 code.

DRwill

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

That is correct, the 2005 NEC states in it's summary of changes that 410.4(D): "Revised to require listing for damp locations or, where subject to shower spray, wet locations."

IMO if this was the only change to the section than the 2002 permitted fixtures in the zone without the revision of damp or wet type fixtures. Wall mounted fixtures do not appear in the list of prohibited fixtures in 410.4(D) in the 2002 or 2005 NEC.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer

drwill,

In considering the language used in the 2002 NEC 410.4(D), the list of fixtures is as you stated. Plain old surface mounted luminaires and recessed luminaires are not in the list. Therefore, they may be mounted within the zone.

A wall sconce is a surface mounted luminaire. Therefore it is permitted inside the zone.

physis

So the 2005 says it's ok to stick a sconce on the wall in a shower, as long as the sconce will be ok? Don't want the sconce to get hurt.

I must be misunderstaning this. :D

Edit: Let me guess, that sconce, being that it can't really be electrocuted, has no GFI requirement either.

Edit again: I'm not reading this right, I'll have to let you guys straighten me out in the morning.

[ May 04, 2005, 01:51 AM: Message edited by: physis ]

pierre

Sam
That is correct, one can mount the wall sconce just above the lip of the tub if one wanted to, the listing of the fixture has to comply.

Today I see this mostly with Hydromassage tubs. The Architects are designing the enclosures with wall sconces, to add to the "mood" while the owners are relaxing. Boy they had better hope for a good installation, or that could be some MOOD ;)

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

I agree with Pierre, in the 2002 NEC the wall mounted fixture could be mounted anywhere within the tub zone. The 2005 NEC added the requirement for suitability in either a damp or wet location, whichever applies.

Status
Not open for further replies.